Looking: 4ohm 10” or 12” loaded cab without a tweeter

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ampegfuzz, Jul 27, 2019.

1. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    Im looking for a new cab. I primarily use 15” loaded cabs with my main squeeze being old Mesa diesel cabs. Looking at a 410/212/412 4ohm cab without a tweeter. I’ve never liked tweeters and it seems most cabs are crossed over. So when you turn the tweeter off the cross over is robbing some of the speakers natural highs. My main amps are a vintage ampeg SVT and a GK 800rb. Seems like most 4ohm cabs have a tweeter and if they don’t they only come In 8ohm. Mostly looking for something to compliment the SVT. Any help will be appreciated!

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Barefaced Super Twin (2x12) or any of their 10" cabinets.

Turbo Sparky and chris_b like this.
  3. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    I saw their 410 cab but website said 8 or 2 ohm :(

4. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    I am under the impression that a fair amount of cabs run the woofers full range, the crossover limits low frequencies to the tweeter.

That said, some, like the fearxxx family, definitely use the crossover to limit the woofers.

Investigating each individual cab is in order…

5. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    The Barefaced tweeter control moves the crossover point between the tweeter and the driver so you don't lose any frequencies if you turn the tweeter down, they are directed to the driver. The cabs are pretty sensitive so the BF 8 ohm 410 would probably go louder than many other 4ohm 410's.

6. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    Only problem is you can’t run a 8ohm load on a vintage SVT. I tried once a log time ago and blew a cap.

7. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    What about 2 smaller 8 Ohm cabs (210, 212 or even 112)? Portability would be better...
    Orange cabs come without tweeters AFAIK

8. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm really happy with my Euphonic Audio Wizzy 12 cabinet. Great sound and it's really light.

9. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    My first choice would be (2) Acme "flat wound" 1 X 12's which are designed for what you have in mind. They come either 4 or 8 ohm.

Some afterthoughts:

*What's wrong with your existing cabs? New cabs are expensive and sometimes a crap-shoot give a specific tonal goal.

*Decent tweeter / crossover systems pretty much reproduce what they're fed.

*Have you considered adding a more cost-conscious (read: cheap) peripheral like a low-pass filter to tame the top-end?

Riis

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  10. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Barefaced Super Twin!

SteveBass5 and Turbo Sparky like this.
  11. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Not true, MOST cabinets run the woofers full range and (all) run the tweeters highpassed.

ampegfuzz and Zooberwerx like this.
  12. Turbo Sparky

Turbo Sparky Supporting Member

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    Barefaced 610, or SuperTwin (212). Both 4Ohm, 1200W. Gigged/used/use both; depending on venue/application.
    Excellent tone; no muss no fuss.
    610 about 65lbs, ST about 35lbs. Stable, reared wheeled for toting. Best padded custom covers in the biz IMO. International customer service second to none.
    Used both simultaneously once or twice; m o n s t e r!
    Good luck.

13. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    I’m in multiple bands and my Mesa cabs live at one bands rehearsal spot. Mostly looking for some variety. I also just don’t need the super high end that tweeters put out. More into old school vibes from my cabs. Now I haven’t played a ton of tweeter cabs. Usually when I shut tweeters off, the cab speakers don’t put out enough highs. I use overdrive and most tweeters suck when those are kicked on. I’d like something with the same highs as my diesel cabs but with more lows and a bit less mid honk. Hence why I’m looking for 10’s and 12’s. All my cabs are also 15’s except for my ‘73 ampeg 810.

Good to know!!! Wish cab companies posted freq. range of their cabs with the tweeter bypassed. Probably sell more cabs to the “tweeter haters” :laugh:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  14. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Try the cabinets without the tweeter turned up, there's a lot more to the full range response of the woofer than just the frequency response.

johnpbass and ampegfuzz like this.
  15. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    Yeah that’s the plan. I don’t get too nerdy on graphs and most companies give the high and low limits. But solely judging a cab from that is like judging a pickup only by its dc resistance.

16. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Can’t go wrong with Barefaced

ampegfuzz likes this.
  17. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    I highly recommend RevSound. They make really nice 210 and 212s without tweeters (I have a 210) and they are 4 0hm. They are well-priced and well made. Call and talk to David Luke, the owner/builder. Very knowledgeable guy and helpful in guiding you to the right cab.

Bass Cabinets | RevSound

ampegfuzz likes this.
  18. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    Unless i find a killer deal on a 412 ill probably get a 410 or 212. I'd like to find something that doesn't weigh a ton. I'm not scared to lift something heavy for good tone though. Id like something that "looks like it belongs" under the SVT (I.E. light colored cloth grill). I always cringe when amps hang over a cab and look like a big letter "T" also. So now i guess I'm more open to any good 410/212 long as its 4 ohm. I guess skinny cabs are the only deal breaker. 100lb SVT might be too top heavy to risk it.

19. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Maybe consider the Ampeg SVT212AV? Not too heavy at 65 pounds, looks would match your SVT. Tweeter can be turned off.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    gsgbass likes this.
  20. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    Are you sure? Even where the cab is using a genuine crossover is going to be a little less than rocket science to use a multi pole switch and bypass the crossover entirely.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021