1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking a very strange gift horse in the mouth

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Plucky The Bassist, May 4, 2015.

1. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    So I had a big fiasco with a GC manager losing his temper with me, without me provoking him, but long story short I was able to trade in the amp I wanted and they gave me a fair deal on it. One of the things I was going to pick up was a Squier Affinity Jazz as a "parts bass", I wanted to use the body and build off of it. The guy helping me said "I think I have a used Squier jazz you might like" so he ran and got it for me. Well, holy crap it was actually a really nice VM Jazz like this (Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass | Musician's Friend) one. I was going to get a lake placid blue Squier, but the Brown Sunburst and tort pickguard actually won me over. Always wanted a bass like that, so I dug it. Action was kind of high and it had the Duncan Designed pickups, but I have a maple mighty mite neck I wanna slap on there and had some pickups on order anyways.

I got home and played it and it actually sounded pretty good! I've had the basses with the Duncan Designed pickups before (a VM 70's jazz) and I found them pretty shrill and tinny in most cases, giving people haircuts sometimes. These ones seemed rather good, but I noticed somebody had likely done some work since the pickups looked strangely uneven, plus the neck pickup is WAY higher than I've ever seen on a Jazz bass. I thought I'd look them up and see if it was just a new DD pickup they are using, but that link says they use Fender designed pickups, no Duncan Designed logo or anything. Now I'm wondering what the heck is going on. Did they start using them and then stop later on? They could be more growly, but for DD they aren't too bad. The Fender Pure Vintage '64s I have on order should be good though.

Anybody else have those with DD pickups in them?

2. Yes that model had the DD pups for years but they recently switched to ones not branded in that way, I don't know what the difference really is "under the hood".

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I used to have a bass with them and I have a student who has that exact bass, with DDs. They no longer come with DDs.

Plucky The Bassist likes this.