Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking after natural finished basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by golden_boy, Jan 3, 2005.

1. golden_boy

golden_boy

Dec 27, 2004
    I was just wondering if there is any oils or anything I can generally do to look after a naturally finished bass - I have a natural Yamaha BB404, and Im going to be betting a new bass within the week that is natural too.. and I was to look after the new one more than I have the yamaha.

The Yamaha has lots of little scratches etc... is there any way to get these out? I especially have them by the D and G strings where I pop them... my nails (which are very short) still leave little marks in the finish... Is there anything I can use to stop this?

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Is there a clear gloss or something? Oils are usually only used when the bass has no clearcoat or satin finish.

3. golden_boy

golden_boy

Dec 27, 2004
    it has no gloss at all, it seems to be finished with a wax or something similar

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    You sure it's not satin?

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    It is probably Tung Oil.

In which case, you can hand rub more tung oil, or even lemon oil, into the wood to keep it in good condition.

If it is Tung Oil, you need to hand rub oil into the wood every once in awhile, especially in the winter months when the air is drier.