Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking after natural finishes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PUNK&DONUTS, Jul 12, 2001.

1. I own a P-lyte deluxe with a natural finished mahogany body and was wondering what precautions I should take to look after the wood and if I should use oils what ones are the best.
    Thanks for any help.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Punk, where ya' been?

On a natural finish you can use tung oil once or twice a year, depending on when you think the finish is getting dry and rough.

- Use a Scotch Brite Ultra-fine pad, #7448, to apply small, individual, amounts of oil, (Sandpaper scares me around a bass, especially pickups :eek: ).
    Wipe down the instrument until there is a light, even, coating.

- Use the pad to lightly sand the surface until it's smooth, silky, surface returns. GO WITH THE GRAIN OF THE WOOD.

- Wipe the bass down with a soft, lint-free, cloth to get rid of excess oil.

- Let the oil soak into the wood and dry overnight or 8-12 hours, (longer if the humidity is very high).

3. Thanks for your detailed reply Rickbass1.
    I've been around but just don't have as much time as I use to because work has cut back on net usage and Uni's taking up most of my time, but I'll keep on coming back to the site cause it is the best bass community on the web and your detailed reply shows it.
    Thanks again

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You go Punk! Put in your time now and go for the gusto. Then when you get to be an old fart like me, you can play bass for a living and hang on TalkBass.

Man, you guys in Australia have some outrageously nice woods for a bass available to you, (like fiddleback Tasmanian blackwood). I've been trying to find a US source for a couple most of the day, but, no dice. :(