Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking at a Boss GT6 bass effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tiger9695, Apr 23, 2002.

1. I am looking at picking up a Boss gt6 milti-effects and would like to know if anyone has any experience with this or recommend another brand/model....thanks

Bernie "TheTiger"
    Y.I.T.B.O.T.P.

05/17/2002 UPDATE:

I purchased the board, and I can say that I am TRULY happy with it!!! Like many of the replies here state, as with all gadgets, you really need to sit down and read manual/then transcribe to unit (the rest you can figure out yourself)...The sounds are wonderful and diverse....best effects for this money ($400.00) that I have seen out there....I run it through my rack-mount sans amp DI and ohhh what a sweet sound!! Its worth my money indeed....IMHO :D
    Bernie "The Tiger"

2. gmann

gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    I have one and I like it. It is a very powerful FX pedal if you take the time to learn how to use it.

3. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    hmmmmm....I was just looking at one of those today and was gonna start the same thread......:cool:

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I'm very interested by them - my Bass POD didn't do the mutli effects thing the way I wanted to do it and it looks like I'll be trading it in soon to get a GT-6B amongst other things!

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I got one a few weeks back, and so far it's pretty cool! I'm not too crazy about the Synth & filters that Boss have tho....so I still use my Deep Impact and Line6 filter pedal. The Boss is true bypass, and that makes me very happy! Except for the filter/synth things the Boss seems to be doing everything I wanted it to do. Most of the patches that come with it, are over the top as usual with multi effects.

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    OK folks, traded in the POD and got the GT-6B (oh and some other gear!_

Believe it or not I haven't had the time to get it out the box yet - D'oh!!

I'll let you know what I think when I get to play with it for a while!

7. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    I just got mine last week. While not having the time to get into it as deep as I'd like, I have discovered that it's one hell of a unit for the money. I love the octaver and chorus effects. The amp simulations are killer for recording with most of the sounds you'd need covered. My use of effects is minimal as I believe that the music comes from the hands and the head (the one on your neck) :), not your effect boxes . I owned a Bass Podbefore this. The GT6B is hands down the better unit of the two (IMO). As I said, I'm using it mostly as a preamp for recording and it's working great. Another reason I really like this unit is that the bypass is a TRUE bypass and doesn't color the sound at all (to my ears). The same couldn't be said for the Bass Pod and Korg AX1B (?) units I owned previously.

it's a good investment...but that's just my opinion!

peace

8. I just gave the Boss GT6 a test run at the local music shop.

Man does it have a ton of stink tones.

Yeah it has a (very) few good presets, and you can
    zero in on a couple of good sounds fiddleing with it.

But why are would anyone pay $$ for alot of junk sounds that will never be used?

Good Lord, It really sucked.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

Sooo, you didn't like it?

10. Moose308

Moose308

May 3, 2002
    Canada
    I am guessing here, but I assume you mean "The preset patches are often poorly programmed."

This is a standard gripe with multi-effect units. In fact, an annoyance, they always seem to program in the worst sounding patches into the factory set banks, and save the decent sounding ones for the user banks (the one's you will be deleting anyhow).

At anyrate, to address the quote, I doubt anyone would be spending big dollars on a unit such as this and only ever use the pre-programmed patches. If they did, and liked them, more power to 'em, but I suspect they would really be missing the point.

The point is that the pre-programmed patches are just hints, stepping off points for you to "PROGRAM YOUR OWN TONE". To hell with what the patch starts out as, the reason you spend so much money is to have the tools to morph the tone into something that sounds really cool. This may take effort, but there you go.

I have owned several of these types of multi-effects in my life. I am no expert, but I do know that you usually get out what you put in. If you don't tweak and play and fiddle, you won't get good sounds out of them. If you don't mind spending time learning how to work the settings, then you will probably get something sounding pretty cool. This is often the root cause behind people trashing multi-effects in general. On the surface they look so cool and accessable, one press of a pedal and it is sonic bliss. But then once they grow tired of that sound, they grow frustrated with dark complexity that often defines the guts of the multi-effect, and never fully comprehend how to make it sound good, thus writing it off as crap long before they should.

11. gmann

gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    I have the GT6B and initially had some problems figuring out how to program my own sounds but after a phone call to Boss they explained how to do it and it worked out just fine. The next thing I need to tackle is the sequencer. I also suggested to Boss that they put out an instructional video which they said was probably in the process of being worked on. I just found the instruction manual not as concise as it should be.
    The GT6B is a powerful multi. As it's been said ya just need to sit down and figure out the way to optimize the available fx. IMO

12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I just cut me a deal for one! ;) This will make my third multi-effects unit. My other two are a Peavey BassFex and a Korg Pandora PX3B. The Korg is more of a practice unit for me but the Peavey, man this thing is nice. Same deal though, you have to learn how to use it. I guess I'm getting ready to go to school again with the GT-6B!

13. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Yep, I played with my GT-6 for a couple of hours so far, whilst I agree that some of the presets are far from useful (can't please all of the people all of the time) I think that it's a very powerful tool.

Some of the chorus effects couple with my Jazz fretless were amazing. The distortion effects are good, but I think I will rarely use them. The bass synths are OK, but still don't track too well - I think if you want a good bass synth you need to spend over double the money and get the Roland V-bass.

As said by a couple of folks, the manual leaves a lot to be desired and comes with a double errata page!!! The unit seemes very robust, and the built in expression pedal is good for the Wah effects and the pitch bend - instant bass whammy bar!!

I need to spend a lot more time with it, as it is going to take a bit of time to figure out how to use it to its fullest.

14. The GT6B is yet another multi-effects for the floor that does a few things OK, and a lot of suck.

Besides, Boss Bass Effects suck in general.

I mean really: Is the ODB so great? Or the CEB? Or the Boss Bass EQ? Boss Compression??? Actually they all suck. Add COSM modeling of a analog tone that sucked to begin with... Jeez.

If you want your Bass to not to sound like one, fine.
    If you spent good $$ on top of the line gear, the GT6B will flush your pro-tone investment down the toilet.

Nuff said.

15. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey Donne,

Do you still own that Digitech BP8 & Korg AX1B?

16. Nope.

I Spent

I Used

I Listened

I Programmed

I Listened Some More

I was Programming more then I was actually playing

And After a Couple of Years...

I Finally Learned:

I Sold That Crap and Went Boutique Analog

Now I Smile :D

17. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    LOL! :D I hear you man. Hopefully I'll be able to get me a few nice pedals when I grow up! ;) J/K, I actually think that the Boss works for me right now. As my needs change, I'll re-evaluate my gear.

18. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I think it's sort of important to evalute pedals on a pedal-by-pedal basis. That said, I agree with Donne about the "bass" effects boss makes, but I think some of their stuff rocks in general. The ph-3 step phaser is very good, and I'm currently enjoying their loop station. I'm sure there are more that are very good.

19. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Very true Joshua. I think that you also have to consider how you plan to use the effects. Is it for live performance or strictly recording? Right now I need more diversity than I need outstanding quality. That will change. I've got a lot of development to do and a lot of things to consider as far as what I want my personal sound to be. Truth be told, none of the effects that I have are absolutely necessary. They're a bonus.

20. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001

Exactly! Plus, it's not like you get a digital stereo 24/96 signal out of a bass anyway! One of my favorite magazines is EQ, if I had a nickel for every time I read about a producer using and old p-bass and EHX stompers I'd have a little more cash than I do now! :D