Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking at a cheap fretless.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tryxx, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    Basically, I am just wanting a cheap fretless to kick around, maybe help out the ol' ear and playing accuracy. My budget would be about $600 USD tops. I'm not really looking to spend that much, but I am wanting something of quality, so feel free to add suggestions.

My thoughts were
    A) MIM Fender Jazz Fretless, kept stock.
    B) Rondo music's SX with several upgrades, including:

-A new pickguard (Silver pearl)
    -Seymore Duncan Hot Jazz pups
    -Schaller or Bad Ass II bridge
    -Knobs (Maybe)
    -Tuners and Aguilar OBP-1 in the long run.

( http://www.rondomusic.net/sjb62mgfllpb.html )

To be honest, I don't care much about the Fender name at all, indeed, they've never stuck out much in my mind, including the MIA's. Rondo's basses though, that I've played on, seemed a great bang for the buck. The wood quality didn't strike me as half bad, and after I'm done with the upgrades, that's probably the only thing that could be better on the Fender.

It's obvious I'm leaning towards the Brice, but I'd like some helpfull insight.

Price differences.
    Fender 439.59
    Brice 363.83 with a Schaller bridge, 375.33 with the BAII.

2. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I just purchased an MTD Kingston (lined) fretless and I'm in love with it. Its within your price range and sound very nice. I played an SX, an American Guild fretless and an MIJ Jazz and PJ. I prefered the MTD to all of them. Your best bet is to see if you can find somewhere that has the Kingston, I bet you'll like it.

3. If one of your reasons for going fretless is to improve your ear and playing accuracy, you should avoid a fretless with fret lines marked on it. A totally blank fretboard may take you a few more weeks to master, but it will help you more in the long term.

4. Tryxx

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    Wow...I never thought about that. I guy I met up in Boston at Berklee's Basslines program had one...it was REALLY nice... I guess I'll email Bass Central! I wonder if they'd give me a discount since I bought my Modulus through there... :p

5. Tryxx

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    I thought about that too, but I'm a rather visual learner, I like to see what I'm doing wrong. I usually play without looking at the fretboard, if I hear something wrong, I kind of want to see how far off I am. Nice thought though, thanks!

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    When fretless, I say shut your eyes and play everything. The best fretless I ever played besides a $1500 Pedulla Buzz, is my $200 Yamaha BB404F from the MF Clearance. I set aside $500 for a fretless, and only spent $200, so I bought me a Vox amp with the rest of the cash. :)

7. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Tryxx, check your PM box. I have something you might like.

8. Tryxx

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    PM'd back.