Looking at a Spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by freeslicefattyj, Jan 13, 2005.

1. I don't know why but for some reason my Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass just doesn't have the sparkle she used to. I've been looking at other basses, maybe just because I know what that bass is like and I want to try a bunch of different others. Either way I'm looking at a Spector Euro 4 string and was wondering if it would be any good in a band that mixes hard rock with ska and pop punk influences. I play with a pick most of the time, and reviews I've read make the bass sound pretty versatile, but I'd rather hear directly from people who would probably know more about these basses than myself. I think they look awesome and want to know more about them. Really anything anyone could tell me about how they play and sound would be appreciated, I've read all the specs on the websites and stuff, as well as a bunch of reviews, but I still want to know more. Thanks!
  2. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    hudson valley
    Using a cheaper Korean 5 string--the bass has a very articulate sound. Not sure if the Euro model has the same EMG Hi Z pickups and tone control but I replaced the EQ with an Aguilar pre-amp and get amazing tone. The range is really remarkable and the bass cuts through for me in loud, rocking songs.

Not sure if it's organic enough for Ska but then again the only ska I know was the English 2 tone thing in the early 80s (One step beyonddddddddd!). That music seemed better suited to Fender.
  3. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Spector + pick = tone nirvana. :)

In fact, Spector plus any technique sounds fantastic too (the slap sound, in particular, is to die for). But the pick sound rocks - I must say, since I've been playing Spectors more, I find myself doing a lot more pick playing (technique nazis - sh*t off!).

You'll love it... go for it!

Russ :bassist:
  4. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Pick or fingerstyle, you're on a winner with a Spector.... :hyper:

Very versatile but it particularly shines in punchy rock, pop and funk.... :bassist:

Most Spectors are excellent but the Euro Spectors are particularly superb and great value for money! :)
  5. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Man, I just keep looking for reasons to post pics of my new baby.... she's only 1 day old, awe ;)

6. Man with a picture like that why else would I need a reason to switch. Congrats on a great looking bass.