Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking at a stewartworld power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by quatre03, Jan 16, 2005.

1. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    like the title says i'm looking at the stewartworld power amp, i'm not sure which on i can get because of the ohms and watts ratios

http://www.bestbassgear.com/stewart-power-amps.htm

I'm not real good at ohms and watts stuff.

basicaly i have 2 4 ohm cabs rated at 1400 and 1000.

which one can i get and not blow my cabs??

2. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    thanks,

anyways i'm still looking, and crown CE's caught my eye, if anyone has any info please let me know...

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    your cabs can handle a ton so i'd say get the 2.1. the 1.6 and 2.1 are the only ones with fans, and some people have reported overheating issues with the fan-less units. then again. jokerjkny has used a 1.2 w/o issues for quite a long time.

i've used a 2.1 for a couple of years and really dig it. others like boogiebass and joshua also swear by them. Occasionally people like myself have experienced the failure of one channel on the 2.1. the good news is that you can still run the other channel and that despite a 2 year warranty, i've seen stewart fix older units for free when this happens. the bad news is, they're a little slow at doing repairs.

Lots of cats use the qsc plx series of power amps too. these and the stewarts are lightweight so they get my vote, but some cats are willing to put the extra effort into hauling crest ca-6/ca-9 amps or crown machro tecs because they feel the tone of these amps is better.

4. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    As stated, either one should work for you. I have a 1.6 and run two 4 ohm Aguilar GS212's. I run it in stereo and I find it has plenty of power. Running it in stereo the 1.6 puts out 550W out to each cab. The alternative is to run both cabs out out of one side and then it puts out 700W. To me the real advantage of the Stew is the weight. I find that 16 lbs is very manageable. It's a great amp.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Stewart World 2.1: the amp so nice I bought it twice. :p

No, I don't use 'em both at once. :eek:

6. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    the crown ce2000 is a workhorse. it's heavier than a stewart.(prob. about 40lbs) but it has never failled me in about 5 years of hard work. (always bridged into a 4 ohm load) i think it will put out about 600-700 watts a side into 4 ohms. the price is good too.

7. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    and could you recomend me a 2 channel tube preamp? for less than or arround 800

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    why do you want two channel? i cant think of any bass preamps that have two channels where you can switch between them and they both go to the same output. the venerable alembic f2-b has two completly seperate channels with their own inputs and outputs.

9. Another 2.1 happy owner.

10. The F-2B is one of the best sounding pre's out there and would be a great choice to go along with a Stewart.

I'm also considering getting a world 1.6 or 2.1 to replace my scorching hot Hafler, but from reading older threads, there seems to be a reliability issue with them. That sucks because I really like stuff that's light AND great sounding.

11. Aguilar DB680.

12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Peavey Max Bass Preamp = separate solid state channel and separate tube channel that also happen to be footswitchable. Interestingly, they are also combinable (you can mix the two or use just one or the other).

Outputs are full range or crossover (hi / lo)

That's the reason I ordered it. I'll post some reviews once I've had time to experiment with the settings.