1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking at an upgrade.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Venom of God, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    Australia
    Hey all,

I have a MIM Fender Jazz that's had the pick-ups replaced with a Basslines humbucker at the bridge and a Basslines 'normal Jazz bass looking pick-up' on the neck. I run this through a Zoom B2.1u pedal, and then into a Hartke HA3500 with a LabSystems 4x10 cab.

The tone I get right now is alright, thought it seems to twang a little too much sometimes (which is probably a fault with my playing style?), but it just always doesn't cut through enough or something. I play in a three-piece hard rock band, and we want to sound as big as possible, so I'm thinking of maybe adding a pre-amp? I've done a little research, and the Sadowsky Preamp/DI looks like it could be a good idea, as I'm also in the market for a decent DI. Would this do the job aswell as a Sansamp or something? Any other suggestions?

I'm also looking at upgrading my pedal at some stage, with a few single units as opposed to a multi-effects.

I'll probably be after a chorus (not used very often), an overdrive (not something over the top, just something to make it sound a bit more dirty and Alice in Chainsy if possible- used often), a booster pedal or something for when I need some extra kick (would probably be used fairly often) and a delay pedal (not used very often). I also use the volume feature in the Zoom a bit, would that be worth upgrading or just continue to use the Zoom for that aswell as it's tuner? Is there really that big an advantage in upgrading to single units over the Zoom? I'd like it if these pedals could be something to last me a fair while, but I don't need super expensive gear, as after doing my pedals I'd like to one day (not soon) upgrade to a new bass or amp or something before dropping cash on pedals again.

Thanks!!

2. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    Australia
    Oh, and maybe a compressor too. Worth upgrading over the one in the Hartke?

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    How do you keep the EQ set on your Bass and Amp? And what are the EQ settings on the patch you use in the Zoom?

4. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    Australia
    I have the treble on the bass rolled around to about half I guess, and on the amp I take the lows down slightly, boost the mids and have the highs pretty flat... I can't remember the exact settings, as my amp is at the singer/guitarists house. I have the EQ on the Zoom turned off.

I've played with the settings a bit, but as the amp isn't at my house I probably haven't fiddled with it quite as much as I should have. Also I'm really not good at dialing in a tone I want!

5. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    Australia
    Bump !

6. bassninja7

bassninja7

Mar 1, 2008
    Napoleon, OH
    http://www.myspace.com/publicface
    bump?
    hmmm.

i used a boss MEb-20 for a while.
    eh....it was ok. the dist/od was great, but it did not keep my tone when on in use);

wah was pretty cool too.