Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking at buying behringer head with hartke or mercury cab - advice please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mindabout, May 2, 2004.

1. Mindabout

Mindabout

Apr 11, 2004
    Australia
    I am almost definitely set on getting a Behringer Ultrabass BX3000T (300W @ 8 ohms) amp. I am on a really tight budget and have been offered good prices on the Behringer as well as the following two speaker cabinets: Hartke VX115 with 15” speaker and horn. Mercury (don’t know of a model number) with 15” Eminence speaker (no horn).

I haven’t heard the combination of the Behringer with either of these cabs so the store I am looking at getting them from is ordering/holding the lot in for me (after having put down a deposit) but can send it all back and refund my deposit if I don’t like the setup.

Either of these speaker cabinets with the Behringer will fit within my budget and are the best deal I have been able to find on a new cabinet. I would have preferred the option of smaller speakers either a 2x or 4x but I was able to try the Mercury they had in store with an Ashton amp that was already plugged in and even without a horn I didn’t feel there was a problem with the high end.

Anyway, the reason for this post is to ask for opinions on these two possible amp/speaker combinations. Keep in mind my tight budget and that I really just want a rig that will allow me to jam in a situation involving a drummer – I’m not looking at getting into a serious band. I’d also appreciate any info anyone has on the Mercury as I’ve not been able to find out anything about this brand.

2. Mindabout

Mindabout

Apr 11, 2004
    Australia
    *bump*

I just rewrote my post to make it more clear and reader friendly.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I would really say try them both. See what you like. But other than that, you might just go with the Hartke. It's a bit more well known, so it might be a better option. IMHO, I think a cab with a horn performs better as a standalone.

4. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    The behringer head is 300W at 4ohms.

I'm sure the hartke and behringer will compliment eachother. About the mercury, I have nnot had the oppertunity to play one, try searching the forum for some info.

good luck.

P.S. also check out avatar

www.avatarspeakers.com

5. The hartke VX seires are pretty good cabs. I don't know much about the behringer head, but people around here seem to like them for the price.

6. Mindabout

Mindabout

Apr 11, 2004
    Australia

None of the salespeople I've talked to here in Brisbane, Australia have heard of Avatar... I started to assume it must be a budget American thing.... sorta like a no name.... except with a name.

7. Mindabout

Mindabout

Apr 11, 2004
    Australia

Uh oh... I thought I had the power and impedance thing sorted here.... now I'm just confused. If the head is 300W at 4 ohms and the cabs are 300W at 8 ohms does this mean that the power level is going to be mismatched so that the amp puts out more power than the cab can take... or the other way around? How bad would this set up be in light of unmatched power/impedance?

8. Skips

Skips

Feb 19, 2003

No, they just only sell factory direct and don't ship to Australia.

9. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    You can play an 8 ohm cab through a 4 ohm head but you won't get all 300W you'll get like 180W or something. I do suggest getting an 8 ohm cab though just in case you wanted to get serious some time ine the future you could just buy another 8 ohm cab and you'll get all 300W out of the behringer.

10. Mindabout

Mindabout

Apr 11, 2004
    Australia
    So will 180W cut through with no problems if I'm playing with, say, a loud drummer and a couple of guitars? What about if there was a brass section as well?

If I was struggling to get the volume I needed and I turned the amp way up would I blow the speaker?

11. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I'm very sure you can be heard, but some guitarists are attention whores and like to be heard over everyone so you might have to battle him.

On there Behringer the is a red light under the output knob that will go on if you are clipping avoid that light like SARS.