Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking at "cheap" 5 stringers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GeddyisGod, Apr 23, 2005.

1. GeddyisGod

GeddyisGod Four on the floor and nothing more!

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    I'm thinking of getting a low cost 5 string for use on a few low-tuned metal songs. These are two that have caught my eye;

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-YAM-RBX375-BK.html

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-IBA-RD505-SB.html

I like the Yamaha because I own an RBX 760a and I'm quite happy with it, but I've never seen or played this particular model.

I like the Ibanez because I've always liked the feel of their instruments, even if the sound wasn't the best. This particular model has a nice look and an interesting (to me) pickup configuration.

Keep in mind that this will not be a "main" axe. That distinction belongs to my Warwick. I just want a decent little beater bass to hit a low A on without having to worry about too much flop. I'm also open to other suggestions in this price range ($400-$450).

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I wouldn't buy a 5 unless you play it yourself first, especially if you are planning on going down to A tuning. Many lower end 5s have horrible flop and dead sound on the low B, and dropping it a whole step makes it worse. Play the bass first to make sure you like how it feels, or if you can't buy from an online store with a 30-45 return policy (Muscian's Friend and Zzounds.com both do this).

I have an ESPF205 that I love, and use in ADGCF tuning regularly. A new one would be a tad out of your price range ($550) but might be worth the stretch, they really do this kind of music wonderfully.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I would go with the Yammy. I don't trust them ibanez basses.

4. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    I would go with the Iba. I don't trust them yamaha basses. :D

5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Another good option for a fiver would be Peavey. :bassist:

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Actually I'll second that. The Grind 5 string was a close second in the "cheap" category. I didn't like it as much as the ESP, and I scored the ESP cheaper because of a closeout, but its a nice bass.

7. I played that Yamaha a few days ago, sounded and played great. Great value for the money!

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Musiciansfriend is blowing out their last years model BB405's for $229. The BB's are generally known to be better than the RBX series...

9. GeddyisGod

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    In response;

I don't know about Peavey. I have bad experience with the Foundation series.

I've checked out a few LTD models, but I can't get to one to actually play. I don't live in the city any more so I can't just test drive anything as in the past. My local music store only deals Fender and Ibanez, but they don't even have a fiver in stock!

That's a nice little deal on the 405, maybe too good to pass up. That plus my good experience with my 760 has me leaning Yamaha right now. :bag:

10. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    The Yamaha's are excellent basses. The Peavey's you will want to check on are the Fury QT and the Millennium AC BXP. The Foundation wanes in comparison and if it were my only introduction to Peavey that would lead me to the same conclusion as you. Needless to say, you can't go wrong with a Yamaha :)

Dan

11. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I played both of those EXACT basses about 10 hours ago. The Ibanez RD had a thick and clear sound with good growl, but the electronics were noisy, and flat out loud and annoying when a pickup was solod or the treble was boosted. The Yammy was not as aggressive sounding as you would expect. Despite being MM sytle pups, they sounded liek pretty mild humbuckers. The tone just wasn't that aggressive and didn't have much bite. This sin't a bad thing at all, but it sounds liek taht is what you may want. Overally the quality on teh Yammmy seemed a bit higher, adn the electronics were much quieter. If both of these basses interest you, I'd look at the Ibanez SRX 505 or 705- they have dual MM's like teh yamaha, but have a much fatter and more aggressive tone- the construction is also very good. They are in the same price range and are the best of both worlds. The RD line isn't the best and is riddled with defect from what I ahve read and seen, but the SRX line has been really outstanding.

12. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    The BB405 may be too good of a deal to pass up. I've played an RBX 375 but not the 405. What there any differrences between the 2 besides the pickups?

13. GeddyisGod

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Pickups and body shapes are the only real difference between the Yammys. They both have alder bodies and maple with rosewood necks.

14. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Just gonna say, I've played the 4 string version of that Ibanez and the tone is exceptional. It's really thumpy and can get an extremely MM-esque slap tone and would be very good for hard rock and metal, IMO. However, I can't comment on the quality of the B string.

It's a good looking bass and, since I don't care for Yamaha's at all, my vote goes to the Ibanez.

-Eric.

15. dbaser

dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL
    +1

I *HAD* a RD500.... it had some issues. I posted about it a while back. Don't bother with it.

I own an SRX505 and I love it. Great B, agressive and quite growly. Try playing one of either the SRX505 or 705's.. you'll be impressed.

16. GeddyisGod

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Thanks for all the input.

That low price for the BB405 was just too hard to pass up, so I went Yamaha.

17. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    You know the rule, right? A new thread and pics once it arrives. We will be waiting ;)