Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking at Epifani UL-502

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by FredH, Mar 10, 2006.

1. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

My GK150E broke and is in the shop for a week this put me in the mood to check out new gear. I went to a local bass guitar shop and played my DB through a few of the higher end amp. I tried Aguilar’s, EA, Epifani’s and Bergantinos with preamps. My favorite was the Epifani UL-502 going into a 410 cab. It had a warm slightly compressed sound, which was fairly close to my unamplified tone. I’m playing louder gigs these days and I’m thinking of upgrading. They are pricy but they sound nice.

Anyone have any thoughts on these amps?

2. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    If you liked the sound, then what else matters? I guess reliability and quality. Areas in which Epifani excels....

The UL-502 was not designed for acoustic bass. But if the sound is what you're looking for, then it's the right thing for you.

3. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

I guess it comes down to price; I really can’t justify the expense right now. But I tell you I almost put it on my credit card last week.
    The Epifani was so clean and deep, I bet it would sound great in a big crowded room.

4. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    I went through a lot of combinations including a UL502 on my way to the best DB sound to my ears. The UL502 really didn't sound right at all compared to a Walter Woods, Acoustic Image, or what I ended up using, Markbass. The Markbass LMII runs $600, sounds infinately better than the UL502 and is quite a bit louder. They have a 2 channel version at about $1000 which is very close in design to the UL502, except that the Markbass is more flexible.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I couldn't find that one at the site. Can you post a link?

6. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua=en&cat=1&vedi=68

Ignore the rack ears in the photo - they don't come with it. I went through Acoustic Image and WW on my way to this stuff and haven't looked back...nice that it's cheaper, better built and quite flexible.

7. pat.p

pat.p

Nov 20, 2004
    Poland, Poznań
    The Markbass LMII runs $600, sounds infinately better than the UL502 and is quite a bit louder.

Hi. What about input impedance (500 kOhms)? Is it enough for upright? Tell me something more about it, please:hyper:
    It looks very interesting and is more available for me than EA Wizzy (I live in Poland). Although I have good combo (little GK), I'm thinking about something more, for louder gigs.
    Thanks in advance
    Pat

8. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    I've learned you can't judge on specs. I run a Fishman Full Circle direct into any of several Markbass heads and it works amazing. I have a review on the Markbass heads and cabs elsewhere in this forum...

9. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

Markbass sounds intriguing but I can't seem to find anyone that carries Markbass. Do you know of a w-coast rep?
    I'd like to demo one

10. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    There are no US Distributors yet. You have to purchase from Canada if you want one now.