1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking At Four Straps- Can Anyone Compare Them?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Aug 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Curious if anyone's played 2 or more of these to give a real-world comparison.
    Gruv Gear Solostrap 4" Neo
    Levy's MSS2 4.5" leather
    Mono Betty
    Neotech Mega bass strap

I've been using a Gruv Gear Duo Strap Neo for a while, but my back issues have been much better and I'd like to go back to a single strap that doesn't take up as much room. Comfort's the most important thing. The padding on the Duo isn't as thick or soft as my old Comfort Strapps, but the SoloStrap is wider and may be more padded.

Can the Levy's get safely folded in half to be put in a gigbag pocket?

2. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    Neotech all the way!

having tried all 4 that is my recommendation followed closely by the Solostrap

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Didn't expect anyone to have tried all of them :D Could you tell me the advantage it has over the others, or the disadvantages they have in comparison to it? Just a comfort thing or...?

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    No, I can't. I like my Mono Betty but find the adjustment buckle slips too easily.

Riis

5. Snakeman1066

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    I play in a lot of different bands and a lot of different styles and I rotate approx 15 different basses in this process...some of which are very heavy

Over the years I have had a lot of mild back issues as well as a rotator cuff injury

I find the Neotech Mega to be the best single strap on the market in terms of comfort, construction and value....simply put they work for me

XontheP, Brother Goose and waynobass like this.
  6. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Cool- thanks for the input.

7. Snakeman1066

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    and maybe i'm a little anal but i never fold a strap...i always roll them up into a tight coil

8. jasonmatthews

jasonmatthews

Jul 10, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    I can offer no comparisons, but I can say that I've been using Levy's straps for about 20 years and the quality is incredible. I have three, none are younger than 18yo. Even the one with the most use still looks fantastic.

Ghastly, Tanner5382 and JMacBass65 like this.
  9. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    I can't compare, but, I have a padded 2.5 inch Levy's, the only strap I use for years now. It's very comfortable, and might outlast me. Before I got it I was using plain wide leather straps, the padded Levy's is miles apart from them for comfort, and the padding is the same as the day I first used it. I fold it in 3rds and put it in the pocket in my case, that has not affected it.

10. BigJohnAZ

BigJohnAZ

Jun 26, 2012
    I have 2 Levy's, a 3.5" on my Squier P/J and the one you selected on my Ricky. The P/J is a pound or so lighter, so I don't need the wider strap. Love them both, if they're good enough for Geddy, they're good enough for me!

11. I have the Levy's, neotech and mono. The mono is hands down the most comfortable strap I have ever used. It feels as padded as the neotech, but the exterior fabric is nicer and more durable. It has some nice friction to it so that it doesn't slide around as much. A really well built strap. Folds up well because of the sectioned padding.

12. Snakeman1066

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    as mentioned before the adjustment seemed to slip quite a bit when it was broken in...and i still prefer the neotech over the mono

Zooberwerx likes this.
  13. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Huge +1 on the mono

Linnin likes this.
  14. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    I have owned all but the guru gear.

The Mono Betty is somewhat slick.

The NeoTech straps to me are not as comfortable as a wide, padded leather strap.

The Levi's are good but overpriced.

I use straps from Walker & Williams. They beat all these IMO, and are priced reasonably.

I can fold up my 4" W&W strap and fit it (and power cord, small tuner, and guitar cord) in the pouch of my Levi's bass gig bag. Here is the strap I use, it is super comfortable, extra padded, and soft feeling leather.

Walker & Williams B4-B Super Wide 4″ Dark Brown Leather Double Padded Strap – Walker & Williams

Giffro, son_of_mogh and timmo97 like this.
  15. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I prefer neoprene straps. I've used the Gruv Gear solo, the regular Neotech, and the Netotech Mega.

Using the Gruv Gear solo at the moment. Pros: wide, so weight is spread out; doesn't feel stretchy. Cons: a bit bulky on the shoulder, adjustment holds but is a bit of a nuisance, doesn't fold well, more expensive.

Regular Neotech is good, also. Pros: easy adjustment, holds well enough, folds easily to fit in a gig bag pouch, contour lies on shoulder well. Cons: none, IMHO, if it's wide enough to spread the weight of the bass for you and you don't feel the need for thick padding. Well, it's got _just_ a bit of stretch, but it wasn't a problem for me.

Neotech Mega didn't adjust short enough for me. Best to double check it will adjust the way you want.

16. Yeah, this. I have three of these, 2.5" wide. One is ten years old, the others not as old. Great comfort, quality, etc.

17. Budbear

Budbear Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Staten Island, NYC
    I've owned all these 3 brands as well. None are bad. I was sold on Comfort Strapps until my first Betty and that's all I want to use now. I have them on 6 basses. I agree with all the points stated above and have not had any issues with the buckles.

18. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    The Mono Betty is amazing, just get the right length.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  19. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    I have used all four and found the Levy's to work best for me. My other straps are the Walker and Williams and they are also excellent straps. Comfortable and supportive. All four are well made but for me the Gruv Gear was the least comfortable and the Mono a tad to narrow and aggravating to a shoulder issue I have. My son inherited the Gruv Gear and the Monos and he swears by them. I guess in the end wide leather straps just work for me.

son_of_mogh likes this.
  20. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I wear my strap at 41", so it should be fine. The Mono is actually the biggest risk because the shortest length of the "short" model is 40."

The problem I had with the Comfort Strapps is the buckle digging into my shoulder/clavicle. I wear my basses at a pretty steep angle of 45-50 degrees, so that extra front buckle would sometimes dig in after a while.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021