1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking At Four Straps- Can Anyone Compare Them?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Aug 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ant Illington

Ant Illington I'm Anthony but I'm only illin' Inactive

I bought the Levy 4.5 a couple of months ago and it's a fine strap but, like someone else said, it is prone to digging into the neck. Your neck, not the bass neck. Haha. I'm hioing that it will soften up but there is a lot of padding on the edges and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I've used the 3.5's for years. Less padding or so worn out, Im not sure. I think I prefer them. And putting strap locks on the 4.5 hasn't happened yet. Way too thick. Fortunately, the holes fit so tight on the Dunlop posts that its not an issue. I dont like the neoprene or heavily padded straps as they stretch or padding wears out and bass changes position. I'm of the Billy Sheehan school of lock that thing into one place for as close to forever as you can get.

I dont like folding my straps either andbthe 4.5 Levy is a beast to put away. I keep meaning to put my 3.5 back on and see if it's heaven.

2. Ive owned all except the Neo Tech. Levys is the most comfortable without a doubt.

3. interp

interp

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Can't compare, but I have the 4.5" Levy strap (see profile pic) and I love it. It is thick but it fits folded in my Mono gig bag with no problem.

son_of_mogh likes this.
  4. I have 4 of the Levy's 4 1/2's. Best I've found for my old tired shoulder. Not too slick, not too sticky.

Now that I think about it, I don't need all of them anymore, may put Ine or two in the classifieds.

son_of_mogh likes this.
  5. Relsom

Relsom

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    I haven't tried any of the straps mentioned, I use $7 plain jane 2 1/2" wide nylon Ernie Ball straps. I'm posting here merely to point out a feature on the Neotech strap that I would be leery of. The triangular leather tab with the slot cut into it where the strap loops through. I have had straps with this feature where the slot would stretch out and the leather begin to weaken or even tear at the ends of the slots. I can imagine that this would be enhanced with heavier instruments.

6. Even though it's not on your list, I had a Comfort Strapp. But the padding kinda ran out where I needed it to be (also shoulder/clavicle). After that, I tried a NeoTech. After that, I stopped looking. Neotech was it. I still have and use my original NeoTech from years ago and it still looks barely used. I have 3 of them (2 go on my double gig bag, the other goes in my single gig bag) and no others.

7. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I don't have experience with all of those, but the Neotech Mega Bass strap is the only one I'll use now. It's very, very comfortable and helped a lot in alleviating some shoulder pain I'd had before switching to them.

I now have about 10 Neotech Mega Bass straps, it's the only kind I'll use, and I believe that each bass needs its own strap (and instrument cable) in its gig bag so that it's self-contained and ready to go no matter which bass I grab.

8. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I have tried the Gruvgear Solo Strap Neo and the Mono Betty. The Gruvgear is comfortable, and I like the "set it and forget it" adjustment. But it doesn't fold well, and the synthetic end pieces fray a bit, and though they're quite thick, they feel less secure than I'd like. The Mono folds easily, is very comfortable, and easily adjustable. the only minus is the metal buckle. My vote goes to the Mono.

9. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    One last point re the Betty... it's the best folder as mentioned. Has fold points built in. The version I have also has a pick pocket, which is handy.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

10. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Let's talk about weight for a minute. Exposing my nerd side here, but I weigh my straps (after getting a heavy Italia strap). All of these weights are without strap locks.

strapnerd.png

11. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I had back and shoulder issues and went to a Pete Schmidt and haven't looked back. The Neo straps didnt work for me and I have tried all the ones you listed.

3.5" Ultra Series - Leather - Solids and Textures

12. Cool- not only does the shorter Mono Betty strap you have weigh more, I have the long one so it weighs even more than the Neotech Mega.

Burwabit likes this.
  13. eottjake

eottjake

Jan 30, 2009
    Vandalia, Ohio
    I have the Levy's and the Gruv. The Gruv has become my go-to after surgery on my left shoulder. My 6er is pretty heavy, and the Gruv ditributes the weight better and fatigue has all but disappeared using it.

14. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I actually own a Levi 4.5 and I don't want for another strap personally. The bass it is on is a bit on the heavy side and it's much easier to endure due to the strap. I've had it a few years now and it's worn nicely and held up extremely well. It was a royal biotch to get it on the strap locks however :) There was much gnashing of teeth and saying of words before it settled in.

son_of_mogh likes this.
  15. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    All my electric bass guitars have NeoTech straps. Easily the most comfortable strap I've used since I started playing in '67.

16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I can vouch for this. I got a Betty ages ago and love it. I tried the long but it was much too long. The short is a tad longer than I like but I can still nipple ride so I get by. I am actually in the process of getting another strap and was thinking about another Betty, will probably go with one now. I should add that I don't like leather straps so I haven't used any of the other mentioned options.

17. addicted

addicted

May 23, 2012
    Is Leather wide strap helping in reducing the bass weight? I have problem with my spine. It is a little bit bent and I often have problem with my shoulder and neck. Not due to bass, but my job and activity just causes me to have this neck-shoulder problem. Would like to have Leather strap recommendation as well. Aiming for the 3.5" version M4GF Levy. My first Levy strap does not have padding unfortunately, it is M4 version and it doesnt feel so nice.

18. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    The Levys are good, the Neotech is better. IME straps didn't work. Best is a lighter bass. I have the same issues as you and went to an Ibanez that weighs about 7 lbs. Best thing I ever did.

obimark likes this.
  19. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    I am partial to Levy straps. I've been using them for as long as I remember. The one in my avatar is about 25 years old.
    The others I can't speak for or against. I have one Levy for each for each bass.

20. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Sorry to be late to the party. I have the MONO Betty; the longest Comfort Strapp, and an earlier NeoTech that's about 4 years old. I like them all for different basses.

The NeoTech is just right for my lightest bass. I like the lightness and stretch of the neoprene.

The MONO Betty is best on my Fender Jazz. It's padding extends beyond the collarbone in front, and across the shoulder blade to the spine in back. Very nice and comfortable.

My only gripe with the Comfort Strapp is the padding ends right at the collarbone. Otherwise it is very good. Having to double up on the strap buttons is kind of weird but the leather ends are thin and the redundancy is a kind of failsafe.

I don't like leather straps no matter how fine.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021