1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking At Four Straps- Can Anyone Compare Them?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Aug 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Thanks for posting this. It looks great & is very reasonably-priced!

2. Danpirvine

Danpirvine

Jul 8, 2015
    SYDNEY
    Love the mono Betty (love mono Full stop)
    Also have two gg solo neo’s 2.5 and 4”
    The 4” is huge I would say too big
    If they made a 3.5” I would say perfect strap very well built

Had a sadowsky neo looks to me just like the last one on you’re list
    Comfortable but too springy for my liking

3. I have been super happy with NeoTech Megas. My basses range to <8 to more than 12 pounds and the Neotech works great on all. I have used nothing but these since not being happy with Comfort Strapps. I've never even had to replace one.

4. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    I had the levy's which is a great one but it hurts when you lose it.

5. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I love Mono, but their Betty strap doesn’t work for me. It’s very comfy, but the strap ends are too thin, and don’t hold the strap buttons securely. The metal buckle also dents instruments easily. The Gruv Gear is also very comfortable, but again, the synthetic strap ends don’t work well. Mine started fraying almost immediately.

6. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    That was my problem with the Comfort Strapp as well, but I had the front sewn shorter to override it.

Anyway, I'm hijacking the thread because the Comfort Strapp has served me well but I need a new strap and I was thinking of trying a 4" wide. I like neoprene and I'm now torn between two of your initial choices, the Neotech Mega and the Gruv SoloStrap Neo. What did you end up getting? The Neotech seems just what I need and it's also a bit cheaper, but to be honest the Gruv seems fancier. After all these years with the Comfort Strapp, I'd like to get something a little less boring, and I can get the Gruv in brown to match my bass (I know it's still not exactly exciting, but still a little more interesting than a piece of black neoprene!). But I was wondering if anyone has measured the distance from the front pin hole to where the padding starts, to make sure I won't have the aforementioned problem. I've also read some negative comments about the Gruv's material where the holes are. On the other hand someone said the Neotech is a bit slippy, the Comfort Strapp is grippy enough for me and I wouldn't want anything less grippy. Any thoughts and info are welcome!

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I got a couple of Neotech Megas. They aren’t quite as grippy as a Comfort Strapp, but that was of little concern to me as my basses balance very well and don’t have neckdive. They’re wide and soft, and none of the edges dig in anywhere. The one thing I would prefer as if they were a bit thicker. They are very wide which takes up the weight very well and I wear my basses for long periods with no issue (just had a 5 hour practice last night), but the extra thickness of something like the Comfort Strapp does make it a bit more...comfy, for lack of a better word.

Dragonlord likes this.
  8. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Thanks, that's the impression I was getting too from photos but wasn't sure. I do like the thickness of my Comfort Strapp... Anyone know how the Gruv SoloStrap Neo compares as far as thickness/padding goes?

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I don’t own a Solo Strap. I had a couple of the Duo Strap Neos, and their thickness is roughly the same as the Comfort Strapp, so I assume the Solo is as well.

Dragonlord likes this.
  10. I use the levys for any heavy basses. They hold up well and are pretty comfortable. I’ve had several different ones over the years. The smooth ones are my favorite. They have some that really stick to my shirt though and can pull my shirt instead of gliding over my shoulder which I find annoying. You can safely fold the levys straps in half to put them in a gigbag or hardcase.

For basses under 9.5lbs or so I tend to use the dimarzio clip lock straps. They are affordable. I like the seat belt like feel. They glide over my shoulder which is nice if I want to move the bass around (but can be a negative if the bass has neckdive issues). I also really like how they eliminate the need for strap locks. We have a high energy show with some jumping around and stuff and with other strap lock systems particularly on heavy basses I’ve bent and even broken the screws. With the clip lock strap the screw the strap touches the body of the bass so not sticking out it may not have the leverage to bend the screws, or the screws thag come with the strap are maybe just a stronger metal.

11. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021