Looking at getting a new combo, low B issues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jvbjr, Jan 24, 2005.

1. jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    I have been playing my fretted six string through my Victoria Bassman replica, since Fender designed the Bassman as a bass amp. I have my fretted tuned E A D G C F, so never had to worry about low B before.

I am thinking of getting both of my basses in the normal low B set up, but need a combo that can handle those 27hz notes.

Want to spend under $1000, for at home practice only, must have effects loop.

Was considering the Eden Metro (relaibility issues), Super Redhead (lacking low B definition issues) or Gallien Krueger MB (more low B issues).

Can be 2x10, 1x12 or 1x15, must work w/ fretted and fretless equally as well. Back in the early 90s I had the full Eden rig, 410XLT, 1x15 Eden and 800 watt amp, now I want something small in the corner that has great tone and does not need to be loud, playing with my three year old (he plays drums already).
  2. You might want to consider a seperate cab and amp, such as an EA CXL-112 or smaller Accugroove cabinet on the used market and a head of reasonable power. I just found a deal on a CXL-110 and an Ashdown MAG300 head that cost me about half of your budget is. If you're patient you can find a good deal on a 300-400 watt head. I go by the $1.00 per watt rule, you seem to be able to get most heads for that, except of course the more boo-teek brands, and lower cost brands for less.

Just my $0.02
  3. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    If you can wait until April, you may be in luck. I just read about a BRX combo from Carvin that has 600 watts, 1x12 driver,(and maybe a downward firing 12 as well), neo magnets, casters, pull out back handle and allegedly huge tone. The word is, it should weigh around 60 lbs. and cost about $800.00 USD. From the look of it, it should handle a low B with aplomb.
  4. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Have you considered a Peavey BAM 210? I own one and can assure it thunders the B string with no issues at basically any volume you need, all by itself! I play loud rock an my Bam on it's own outdoes my drummer and keyboardist/vocalist in our rehearsal space at only 2! It's loud, punchy unbelievably versatile and also about to be discontinued for reasons I can't imagine. But the used market is an excellent place to get one if you can't find one, I got one from Sam Ash for 950, not a bad price but you may be able to get it for 9. Used expect to pay around 600 in good shape. The foot pedal they come with is nice also allowing you to switch amp models and turn effects on and off. You might like it, I took a leap of faith and couldn't be happier. It's replaced my Traynor YBA200/YBX1510 and GK700RB-II/Avatar B410 Delta stacks as the only rig I'll gig with. Atop the B410 it is punishly loud and deep, again set only to 2 on the master. Give it a shot.
  5. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Yr right about the "downward firing 12." Its actually a 2x12 combo. It appears compact, light weight, easy to move around, yet with plenty of muscle. I'm hoping some reviews will be popping up soon.
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cool amp!

i've owned a few of Mark's killer amps, while the 45410 is terrific, its by no means a bass amp. those poor jensen P10R's can only do so much with the low end.

if you want a FULL low B affect, only an Acme Series II cab is good enough. heck, an Acme B-1 with an Acoustic Image Focus would be a great little combo that'll make full use of your low B.

check out the recent "Acme Users Unite" thread, and you'll see LOTS of happy Acme players.

7. I'll vouch for the Eden CXC 110. I think it handles a low B great. But like any other ported cabinet, it can distort when the bass signal is overboosted and drives the cab substantially below its tuning frequency. Lots of choices in the CXC line, but For a grand, you can get a 210 or a 110 w/ matching ext. cab. I love mine.

I also would love to hear about the carving 212 BXR. I read in the product description that it uses a high tech ported design, but at the bottom it says it is sealed. Just looking at it I would guess it is sealed. I wonder with the drivers are compund isobaric design wherein the 2 are wired out of phase with each other. this lowers efficeiency but also allows you to get away with a smaller cab. 850 clams looks pretty decent for that piece. Would want to know if it is 4 ohm or 8 ohm operation and what its RMS rating is.
  8. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    As a stand alone, the Carvin BXR rates at 8ohms and is expandable to 2ohm operation. Stand alone, I think its 300 watts at 8ohms, 500 watts at 4 and 800 watts at 2! Yowza.

Now I must confess...I don't know what the heck a RMS rating is. But I hope this little bit of info helps.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you are dead set on a combo, there is no other combo under $1500 that handles the low B as well as the Peavey BAM. I used one as my main gigging amp for almost 2 years. The only reason that I retired it is that it just wasn't loud enough for the largest clubs. But I played plenty of small clubs, using 5 and 6 string basses, and never had a problem with it handling the low B at very high volume.

I don't know anything about Eden Metro reliability problems, never heard that before. But I can tell you this. I used to own an Eden Metro(got stolen!:() and the BAM handles the low B a lot better than the Metro.

I got my BAM new for $1079. If you can find a new one, you should be able to get one for that. But they are discontinued, and getting hard to find. Used, they seem to go for between $650 and $750.

If you are open to head and cabinet suggestions, an Acme Low B2 is very affordable, and handles the low B better than anything else out there for under $1000. Pair it with a GK 800 RB, and you are right at $1000. Or get the discontinued BAM head from Musicians friend for $499 to go with it. But since the BAM is only 350 watts at 4 ohms, it wouldn't drive the Acme to gigging volume levels.