1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking at getting a new, lightweight rig! Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tomd03, Apr 4, 2009.

1. tomd03

tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada
    Hey all!
    I have had my trusty ol' Ashdown 300H head paired with the 410T cab for a good half decade, and am finally looking to move on from the little guy. I don't mind the sound on it frankly, it sounds fine when run through the DI system of wherever we happen to be playing, but it is getting quite cumbersome to move around without casters, and gigging 2-3 times a week. I am going to move on from my old friend, and replace him with something lighter, and hopefully a bit more powerful!
    I've been looking quite closely at the Markbass amps, seeing as one of my good friends has the LMII. I actually used it at one gig along with the Traveler 102 cab and was blown away! It sounded great! And it was simple to move, and much easier to fit into my car haha. So a LMII is definitely in contention for me, and I was also wondering: do you guys know whether it'd be worth looking into the new LMIII's that were announced, or the LMTubes?
    As well, are there any other lightweight rigs that are comparable to the LM series of amps? :)
    Thank you very much!

2. The Markbass stuff is really nice. I recently bought a TA-501 and an Epifani UL-310, both from other members here. Great setup, very easy to move and so far, plenty loud for the gigs I do. Earplug volume is easily do-able. But more than anything else, the sound is to die for-very clear and present, with lots of punch. My Jazz sounds like a Jazz, and my P sounds like a P. The tube compressor is very nice too, and I usually don't like compressors-they can sometimes give that 'swimming with ankle weights' feeling, but not here. Very transparent. Loving it.
    Haven't tried the other Markbass heads. My understanding is that some, such as the LMII and TA-501/503, have an analog power amp, and others, such as the F1, have a digital amp. The digital ones are reported to have a more aggressive sound, whereas the analog ones are warmer sounding.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yup Markbass head and Epi cabs... light and oh so awesome sounding. Check sig for more details. :cool: