1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking at getting an Ibanez BTB676, thoughts/opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by holycrapoctopus, Jun 13, 2012.

1. holycrapoctopus

holycrapoctopus

Jun 11, 2012
    It looks like I'm going to get a crazygood deal on a new BTB676. I was wondering if anyone here owns/has played one before? I've never owned a six-string but have played them many times and I'm excited to start mastering this new instrument!

I usually play a combination of slap and regular plucking styles; is this bass good for those or mroe oriented towards heavier styles? Also, does anyone prefer the maple fretboard to the regular rosewood? I can get the 676M (exact same specs, just different coloration and wood on the fretboard) for the same price, but I don't know if I've ever played a bass with a maple fretboard before so I'd like to get some opinions on those.

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I own one, it is a spectacular instrument. I have the rosewood, it has 18mm (maybe 17.5mm) string spacing so it is plenty wide enough for slap. The Bartolini MK-2's are pretty good, not nearly as dark as the SR series bart's I've heard, 3 band EQ can dial in a pretty solid tone. You can also blend back to the neck and get a pretty good Jaco growl. Neck thru stays true and doesn't require a setup all the time, I live in a very extreme climate. It is a dual truss rod though so you need to know how to work it without warping. I had purchased an SR-506 initially, tried to play it for a month, then returned it on my last day because it was a raging hunk of garbage, you couldn't intonate it or get it set up without clickty-clankiting all over the place. I returned it for credit on the BTB 676, which when I bought them they were still at the $1200 price point, not the $900 they are now. 35" scale the B string is pretty good up the neck, it is like most other B's though, sloppy and loose, I have only enjoyed Carvin and Dingwall B's, they are the proper tension and feel as the other strings.

I am currently in the process of selling my BTB 676 because it weighs a TON, seriously, a 3 hour night becomes very long and very painful on the shoulder. My other major complaint came to light when I set it up for sale recently, the frets are total spit, mine are all busted to hell and some are starting to crack, yes mine has seen a lot of play time but it hasn't seen as much as my Fender, it is also 5 years newer than the Fender, the Fender frets look 10x better, it is a Mexican Fender as well.

I like a maple fretboard, the Carvin LB76 I replaced the Ibanez with is a flamed maple board, as with my other two most recent basses, a EBMM StingRay Classic and my Dingwall ABZ, but the latter two I bought used so I didn't have a choice in it. I haven't played a maple BTB 676 and actually only found out about them recently.

I hope that helps.

3. ThatLowEnd

ThatLowEnd Dirt, Trucks, BBQ, Whiskey

Apr 14, 2012
    Down In The Delta
    Has been/Never was
    I have a BTB1206 which I absolutely love. String spacing seems to be good for slap/pop though I personally do not play that style. Great basses for a great price! :bassist:

4. speedbot

speedbot

Jul 1, 2012
    Seriously guys!. I bought the BTB 676M couple days ago, still trying to EQ it, can;t get that special tone i want, i;m this close to return it, I played the 506 at the store, sounds growly and bassy like i want it... The btb sounds hollow... Appreciate the Help u can give me!!!

PS:My equipment is the BTB 676 and an TNT 115 Peavy... Be advised , i have a KSD Proto J-5 and sounds aweesome in that amp, so... let me know...