Looking at getting my first fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Hey,
    ive always had a thing to get a fretless 4 ever since i heard jaco, but i was thinking would it be better to play it safe and go 'average' instead of dumping down heaps of money on something like a fender or yada yada yada.....

i got a quote from steve wishnevsky for a peanut fretless 4 with a carvin MM pup for about $300-$350us then add about $100us postage to australia, or about $500us (plus the $100us for postage) for a short scale electric upright with a dragon carved outta the headstock (ala charles mingus)

do you think it would be 'smart' to get the wishnevsky or try and get something mass produced and cheap?

attachment is what i want cept with a mm style pup and 4 string......

People who have experience with wishnevskys please feel free to tell me anything you think i showld know, cos ive heard mixed reviews about these
  2. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I recently bought my first fretless. I decided to go with a "lower priced" instrument. I chose a Lakland Skyline 44-01. The build quality is excellent and you can get a variety of useable tones out of the Bartolini MK-1 pups and preamp. The cost in the US is about $650 new (case/gig bag not included) and a lined fingerboard is the only offering. :D
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I would go with something different over a Wish. While Steve is definitely getting better with his skills, he has a long way to go before his instruments can be taken seroiusly. They look more like a wood shop project than a high quality bass. But he is the cheapest custom builder around so of course that factors in.
  4. um, the thing about lakland, it might only be $700us over there but after taxes and other stuff it ends up being about $2500aus over here, its the same with fender, a mexican over there might be $400us but (untill recently) were $1400aus, now down to about $900....but i did have wish in mind because i wouldn't have the markup when it gets sent over here, and the shape of the peanut is pretttty cool, but as you said abark, its just an option in the big plan of things...im just really aprehensive of spending a grand on something that i might not like and when i go to sell it not get as much money back, where wish's im only spending a 'little' and if i dont like it its not that big a loss....
  5. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Why would you use a Carvin MM P/U? What about a Bart MMC?
  6. aren't OLP going to be offering a fretless stingray copy?
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Get a fretless P bass.
  8. :eek: Shudders
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Why the shudder?
  10. i dont really like (hate with a passion) p-basses
  11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    haha alright.

12. hmmm, i just reminded myself before though that fender have dropped the price on the mexican basses ($888aus) might have to check out a fretless jazz
  13. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    i wouldnt consider a wish. low resale value and unpredictable sound. save some cash and get a more reliable instrument.
  14. yeah, after more review searching i have found some 'more' negative reviews, and an interesting 12 string he made....

But now i am leaning more towards a fretless jazz, either a brand new mexican or a seccond hand american series, im not a big fan of the smaller bodied jazz's.....

i already know what i'd like, black body (pastel green would be nice to match the kubicki), chrome pick guard, p-bass chrome knobs and i might put a Schaller 463 or Bad Ass II bridge on it, im not a big fan of the standard bridges (that coming from an ATK and Kubicki owner :p )

check out these funky pick guards

15. I recommend the yamaha RBX270F - I got one for £179.
    solid build quality, lined fingerboard, P + J pickups, standard fender-style bridge.
    I've put a Gotoh 201 bridge on mine, screened the control and pickup cavities and changed the controls.

the Yamaha BBN4F is good too (a more solid bridge on that too)
  16. i didn't know the Yamaha BB's were made ina fretless model?...do they make a G4 Fretless, gold hardware, flamed top....cos the bb's are pretty much the same price as the wishnevsky was gonna cost me $550aus for the N4 and $670aus for the G4....i would consider the rbx if theey didn't have the split coin...not to big a fan (geez im fussy)....

do ibanez make a fretless soundgear?
  17. You could look into Ashton, I know they aren't real hot but if you look and find a decent one you have better chances than buy an unseen Wish. It seems their range has changed but I think they used to have a fretless in there somewhere. If not Kirby did a defret job on his and it looked pretty nice, see what it'd cost for a local tech guy to do a defret job maybe...

Josh D
  18. Lol @ ashton...i started off on an ashton p-bass copy ( :eek: damn, no puking emoticon)....bought it off ebay for $100 then sold it again for $270 :p (i only started it at $50)...but, i have kinda high standards now....so i was thinking the MIM Jazz fretless, so if i dont like the fretless i can get a fretted replacment neck or somethin, either that or take my atk off consignment and get that defreted
  19. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I can tell you from experience, you will probably like either the mass produced or the unique ones. I have a 1982 Peavey T-20FL. $225.00us new in 1982 with case. I also have a 1978 Fender P-Fretless. I love them both quite differently. The set up will make them feel and sound the way you want them too. If you have the money spend it on what you may feel is the best for your situation....Fretless is a whole lot of FUN :hyper: