Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking at Mesa bass heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ttyR2, Mar 2, 2003.

1. ttyR2

ttyR2

Feb 23, 2003
    Athena, OR
    Do any of you know if the Mesa Boogie Mark III series was ever available configured for bass use? I'm really not hip on the look of the newer gear, what with all the polished aluminum, but do like the look of the older Mesa gear. I figure most of their stuff sounds really good, so that's why I'm worrying about looks at this point.

I may just go with the Bass 400+, but am still interested in a bass head design (like the Mark III).

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Don't know much about Mesa bass amps but wasn't there the Buster? A no frills all-tube head. Also available in a combo version too IIRC.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    No Mark series for bass. First the 180, then the 400 followed by a couple of versions of the 400+, including the current one. The Buster is a combo amp paired with a 2x10 or 15 and, yes, I believe the Buster head was/is also available as a separate head. If you want a Mesa tube bass amp, however, the 400+ is VERY hard to beat.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    They did make a Buster head (I have one). It's similar to the old D-180, but is alot punchier and more transient. Don't forget the M-2000, the Swiss Army Knife of all Boogie bass heads!

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    If you want to add solid state, the list grows...

6. ttyR2

ttyR2

Feb 23, 2003
    Athena, OR
    Basstriaxis, do you have any decent pictures of the Buster Bass head? I've searched the internet and only come up with small pictures similar to what's on Mesa's site.

7. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    PM me if you want to buy a 400+ in excellent condition for less than $750....

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The buster combo was reviewed in BP in the Sept '98 issue. There was a picture of the head version too...

ttyR2, if you don't have access to this issue, PM me.

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Not a great picture; I'll post some once I get mine back from Mesa (I'm having a purpleheart head shell made for it. Woo!)

10. ttyR2

ttyR2

Feb 23, 2003
    Athena, OR
    Bass, yeah that head is more what I'm looking for. More of a classic look, without lots of chrome and such. I don't have a subscription to BP as of yet.

11. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Purpleheart!!!! That stuff is heavier than a "Metal Farmer"
    You'll need a forklift to add to your gear list.

12. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Phogchris, I sent a PM yesterday, did you get it?

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe

Mar 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I have a buster head. It is a no frills tone monster, 200 watts, 6x6L6. It really cuts in a band situation.
    Because it is only 200 watts, you can turn it up to half way or more with a live band, and as you know, with all tube amps, when you can get the power tubes pumping and breathing, that's where the tone zone lies. This amp is a real sleeper, most people have no clue how great it is. More power,
    like the 400+, does not necessarily mean more tone. Less power, cranked, is where it's at. My opinion only.

14. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Everything is so objective. I found the Buster to be way too mushy. Maybe it's my playing touch, but I like the 400+ MUCH better. It holds together where, I would describe the Buster as Untogether. I even liked the M-Pulse much better. Maybe I'm missing something.......