1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking at Mesa Mpulse 600 head and Powerhouse Cabs Good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by twilightcall, Oct 10, 2006.

1. twilightcall

twilightcall

May 27, 2004
    I am going to look at a Mesa M Pule 600 Rig tomorrow. It is the 600 watt head and 2 powerhouse cabinets. One cabinet is a 2x10 and the other is a 1x15 cabinet. This would be my first Mesa piece of bass gear. I was wondering how these amps sound and how they hold up? Are they pretty good amps? I mainly play 80s, 90s and modern rock (cover band) and I am looking for a pro level amp that is plenty loud enough to play out. Some shows we only have PA for the singer and I need to be pretty loud as I won't have any PA for myself. Do you guys think this amp will do well for the style of music I play and will it be loud enough for venues without PA (frat parties, private parties, etc.)? It is a fairly expensive rig so I want to make sure they are worth the price tag. Thanks.
    The other head I was looking at is a Mesa 400+. Do you guys think the 600 sounds as good or better than the 400+.

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    It will sound sick. For what I do, I dont think there is anything better.

The 400/400+ sound better to me. Richer tone. I've heard that the M-Pulse doesnt have as tight of a bottom, though when I tried one it sounded fine. The 400/400+ can do B-string stuff with nice articulation.

3. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    You will love this set up, it will give you what you want and more from a volume standpoint and in overall tone.
    A friend of mine plays in a heavy metal band and his set up consists of a Mesa M-Pulse 600, a Powerhouse 4x10 and a Powerhouse 1x15. Loud, clear and in your face.

I was extremely impressed with the set up you are considering when I tried it. If I would have the money for it I would buy one immediately.

4. Duolian

Duolian

Oct 2, 2005
    I have a Powerhouse 1x15 & love it. I did not buy a Mesa all tube head because I don't like Randall Smith's philosophy of amps being set-biased. I bought a Fender 300 Pro instead, which I love dearly.
    I have 2 Mesa all tube guitar amps, a Trem-O-Verb, & a 20/20. When getting bass gear, I decided to get away from fixed bias, & am glad I did. Good luck with your choice.

5. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Mesa gear sounds orgasmic. You WILL have one incredible setup, I can't speak highly enough of the Mpulse. It's more hi-fi than the 400+ but you can't go wrong with either one.
    Let us know what you decide to do.

6. twilightcall

twilightcall

May 27, 2004
    Thanks guys. I am going to look at the complete rig tomorrow. If it sounds as good as you guys say I will buy it. I like the portability of it too. I have always heard that the 400+ is the top of the line but I am not a huge fan of the $$$ it will cost to replace all of the tubes. Keep the info coming. I will let everyone know if I get it. I will post a pic if you guys like. Thanks Again.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021