Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking at neck

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by retitled, Jan 16, 2005.

1. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    when playing on stage, how often do you look at your neck? to make sure your hitting the right fret i mean. not the neck attaching your head to your sholders hehe

2. Not often at all. If I don't know where everything is by now, I'll never know. :bassist:

BassChuck likes this.
  3. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    It depends on the music and the situation. I generally look when I'm doing something really hard, especially something that involves big leaps and position changes back and forth. When I'm singing, I never look (I might glance at the fretboard now and then).

That's on bass guitar. On double bass I don't look; it wouldn't help since there aren't that many visual clues.

4. Learning to read music will definitley help in learning not to look at your fretboard as will experience of the time that put in

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I pretty much STARE at my fretting hand constantly. I'm getting so I can look away more all the time, but still when I do, I have to rather force myself, and all the while I'm not looking, my mind is half-way in 'panic mode'. I ALWAYS have to look to change positions, but within a position I'm sure I don't have to look as much as I do.

It's partly psychological, though, I think.

One thing that's strange to me is that if I want to gauranteed screw-up, all I have to do is look at my plucking-hand for longer than a few plucks. I'll for-sure fret a wrong note if I do that. Oh - OR watch either of my hands in a mirror while I play.

Joe

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

When playing music I am very familiar with, not very often, unless I have to make a huge intervallic leap up or down the neck.

When playing unfamiliar material, it is a habit that I have had a hard time breaking.

7. FR5

FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Netherlands
    I have been playing fretless exclusively for more than 10 years now and I still look at the neck quite a lot. At least that is what I have always thought.

But last year I joined a band where I do a lot of backing vocals and even some lead vocals and I have discovered that I generally look at the neck only at beginning of verses and choruses, and when I have to play a fast lick in the upper ranges. In rehearsal setting I look at the lead vocalist very often to get the vocals right and at the same time I have eye contact with the other band members (especially the drummer).

We record our rehearsals so I get to check my intonation regularly (and decide to increase my practice hours). I am about to buy a digital camcorder and it will be interesting to film a rehearsal to see how often I really do look at the neck, and what it looks like to an audience (apart from an ugly guy with a beautiful bass).

Steven

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    No audience wants to watch a bunch of guys stare at their necks. If you have even the smallest concern about what kind of presentation you make, you need to start practicing your bass looking over at a wall or something all the time. When you play in front of an audience you need to look AT THEM not your neck.

I look at my neck rarely, and I'm (finally after 5 years of playing) starting to be able to play my fretless with decent intonation without looking at the neck very often.

edit.... I'm staring at the neck in my avatar.... :) But that's a studio situation and I'm playing a fretless!!! Give me a break!

9. Too often, according to the gig photos. It's weird, when I really start to get into what I'm playing I have a tendency to start staring at the fretboard... doesn't make a lot of sense but I guess it becomes me inside the music, as opposed to me being there to interact with the audience.

Starting to play in a pub band has helped me make great strides in this department, as all of a sudden I have a lot of dancing women to look at while I'm playing. That's about the only way I've been able to break out of the habit - when I have a great audience.

10. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    [​IMG]

Me? Look at the neck? Oh, never, never, never...;)

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  11. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Jovial Curmudgeon Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    U.S.A. Left Coast
    Hard habit to break.
    Try to watch TV while practicing.. "sound off" sounds weird but it will help.

12. Gully Foyle

Gully Foyle Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Near Boston
    Wow, 10 year necro thread

13. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Jovial Curmudgeon Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    U.S.A. Left Coast
    Yup had to reply.

14. Hahaha

Hahaha

Sep 26, 2003
    Olympia, WA USA
    So now that would be 15 years.

I don't know how much I look at the neck. I do a fair amount of reading gigs, so I guess I probably don't look at the neck much. I'm sure I glance at it if I'm making a large position change.

I was watching some YouTube videos of Tim Pierce recording guitar parts, and he looks at his picking had quite a lot. I tend to do the same thing when I'm recording guitar parts. It's because of those pesky little skinny strings.