Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking at stopping gigging

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brendan, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm kinda going back and forth about stopping gigging. I've really not had the urge to get out and play bass for a long time, and frankly, I've never been all that good at it. But that's not really what prompted this:

I've been starting vocals recently, and I tell you, in a couple weeks of vocals, I already feel better about my vocals than I ever have about bass. Kinda comes down to being a better vocalist than I am bassist, I guess.

So, Here I am with a 4x10 and an 1x18... an I'm thinking abotu killing it down to an Aggie 1x12 or a 2x10 or something, and getting a V-Bass with the proceeds (Hi MikeZ! :))

I mean, I've been a mediocre bassist, but on vocals, for the first time, I don't feel like a liability, skill wise. It's like I'm actually contributing to the band, not just being there.

So I'm thinking about calling it a day as a gigging/band bassist, and just doing the bedroom buisness. I'm not quitting bass, I genuinely enjoy the instrument, and have for the past 6 or so years.

Am I crazy, or maybe just maturing/growing up?

2. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    I don't think you're crazy at all. I would do both. Play bass and sing. Will Lee sings on jingles and things like that. Then he plays bass. Sting took a holiday from bass playing. I really don't think it's that much to worry about. Do what you feel and what is making you the happiest.

3. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    That kind of happened to me too, but after about 2 band practices trying to just do vocals, I felt very naked. I really enjoy playing and singing alot though, and I do so often.

4. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Ummmmmmmmmmm............... I'm thinking of Sting right now................

Which is not to suggest or imply anything in particular...... but............. what the heck.........?

Who's to say that you can't do both? :D (and forget the "growing up" part; .... That's optional!)

5. tboyd

tboyd

Sep 10, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Oh God yes. Do both! I'd give anything to be able to sing. Well, for that matter I'd give anything to be able to play bass, but I'm working on that...:D

6. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    :hyper:

Well, you could always send me :bassist: your 4x10 and 1x18 and I'll send you :oops: my Shure SM58 and this little Fender combo amp I use for vox ;) I figure it's an even trade!! (j/k)

:ninja:

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'd say give it a few months for a break before going and selling a good gigging setup. You never know if you'll feel the same way four months from now.

But I would definately pursue vocals as aggresively as you can. Finding something you are good enough to be truly proud of is a great thing.

8. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX

9. Brendan, if that's how you really feel, go for it.
    You said yourself that you're not giving up on bass, just taking it down a notch or two. Plus, if I'm reading between the lines correctly, you're going to do it anyway.

Many people around here say in jest that once a bass player, always a bass player, and I say that's true.

Diversify! :)

Chase that mistress called singing.

Why not? ;)

Good luck.

Mike