Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking at the Eden WT400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowblues, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Ok, I need any and all thoughts on the Eden WT-400 amp. Been drooling over one for the past couple of weeks.

Thanks!!!!!

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

its light, has lots of luscious tube tone, and is compact. what's there not to like? well, it can get a little hot when running full tilt, will clip easy if you're not using the full 4 ohm capacity, and for the life of me cant figure out the top row of EQ knobs. but all in all, i still love mine.

i've also got a iAMP 350 that i love. sure its not tube, but the tone's sooo good, you'd hardly miss it. and the EQ's a little more flexible and musical than the WT400's, IMHO.

3. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Hey, Joker,

Me again. All other things being equal, how does the volume compare between the two (EA and Eden)?

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey Lump,

dunno yet, i'm using an Eden CXM110 and EA CXL110, so i'm only pumping out the max 200 watts they can handle. But as you can see my other posts on 2x10s and 1x12s, i'm looking for something larger and will know then.

5. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Roger that, Joker. Thanks.

6. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have had my WT400 for a few weeks now and I'm diggin the hell out of it! sounds good through my Ampeg cabs, plenty of head room, you can turn off the Comp if you need to sqeeze a little more out of it.. Just plain great TONE!
    I'm usualy a Ampeg guy but the tone of Eden Rocks!
    I just got to get the pregain Vol pot fixed and I'm ready to go. I can't wait to try it live!

7. The top row are frequency knobs. If you want deeper bass turn you bass frequency knob to the left more. if you want high mid presence turn your mid freq. knob to the right.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    It's a great little amp in its class. Rather warm character. Very lightweight. The only other amp at roughly the same wattage that I prefer in certain circumstances is the SWR Bass 350. The SWR has more upper register clarity and transparency. And as joker points out, the EA iAMP350 is an outstanding amp, as well, with similar clarity but somewhat less "lean" than the SWR. It really boils down to a matter of personal preference. For me, the WT400 is great driving a 4 ohm Eden D215XLT with a vintage P bass for classic rock. The Bass 350, on the other hand, rules when driving an SWR Triad I with a Modulus Quantum 6 for jazz/pop gigs.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thanks, "Dave"

that completely clears it up for me. so, its like moving the Q of the controls around their respective spectrum area, no?

Oh, and that's another niggle. the manual's a little on the lean side as well.

10. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Eden's really good stuff, if it's what you're looking for. Consider all your options (I don't know if you have or haven't yet), there's tons of other great amps out there.

Myself, personally... I've never been a "warm" tone person, I like a bright tone, but not harsh.

**irrelevant babbling begins**

I think I'm going to get the new Peavey BAM head, as I loved the combo, but was afraid of the volume issue, and eventually get two Pro 410's to sit it with. That's my ideal setup. :)

**conclusion**

Check everything out, and make sure it's what you want. When you have money, you can buy things that are nice, but not neccessarily what you want.

I've been through quite a few amps, the one I currently I have I like quite a bit, but I think the BAM can do what I want better, that's why I'm opting for it. I've tried many of the "high end" brands, and have never really founded one I can settle with. Although, all are incredibly good amps, and worth their money. They're just not simply my sound.

Sorry, that's probably just worthless... I just felt compelled to say it. :)

11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

I think he meant to tell you that it's actually a frequency knob, not a Q knob. :)

I could be wrong, though... just how I read it. :)

12. More info to add to my 1st post. I want to have the WT 400 replace a 6 year old Hartke 3500. I'm already playing through an Eden D 4-10 XLT at 4 ohms. I'll be running both my 72 P-bass and a newer J-bass.

I love the "Tube" sound so I want a tube pre.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    right,

i meant that it takes the center node of the specific frequency and moves it up and down the spectrum.

Isnt that what Q is? or is it the width of the boosted or cut node at a certain spectral point?

14. yeah joker- you got the right idea. It just changes the centered fequency. I don't know what a Q knob is. I find it VERY usefull.

lowblues- Trust me- it's THE tone. In fact I just put money down on an eden navigator pre this morning. The tone is the perfect mix between fat svt and modern swr. It is very flexible, you can go from huge round tube sound to precise modern sound easily via the enhance knob. I like the way that the mids are voiced too, I can boost mids for punch and it NEVER sounds honky or nasaly. It sounds like bass should. It will be a HUGE step over your hartke. And probably your last amp- at least brand wise. someday you may want to get something with more headroom. But it will do anything short of a big outdoor gig with no pa support.

15. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    A Q knob decides how many bands of frequency are effected, not which area you're centering on. :)

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Eden is the only way to go. Then again, I might be Biased.

17. That's what I,m looking for. I play in a 3 piece, Guitar, Bass, Drums and a singer (Guitar is a necessary evil) The Hartke gets honkie and midrange overloading if I dont watch it. I wanted somethin with a better EQ other than graphic. I never use the compressor on it as a single knob compressor is a sign of weakness. (I run with a semetrics instead.)

Guess I need to go play one again and give it a very close look.

What about the noted problems with clipping running other than a 4 ohm cab? (Not that I'll do that.)

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    you seem pretty set on the Eden and good for you, but dont forget to check out EA's iAMP 350. you might be pleasantly surprised.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd say go ahead and get one ... but get a new one still in the box. All that drool can screw up the electronics in the floor model.

20. jokerjkny:I'll go check out the EA iAmp 350 as well as the WT 400 next time I'm in Seattle. Any others out there that I should check out while out shoping?

Munjibunga: Thanks, I'll bring a snot rag and contain the drool. It's hard sometimes though.:D