1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for “dead notes” thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WayneP, Jun 30, 2014.

1. WayneP

WayneP Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I was perusing TB a few weeks ago and came across an excellent thread on dealing with the issue of dead notes in the middle of the first octave of the G string (i.e. with no sustain that quickly fade away). I recall one of the opening posts noted that Leo Fender had “solved” the problem by clamping a C-clamp to the headstock.

Can anyone point me to that thread, or any others on this topic? I’m pretty sure it was here in the “Basses” section, although I could be wrong about that. Not having any luck with the search function, although that could be because I'm not using the right words. Thanks very much!

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Administrator, Pedulla Club #45
    Administrator, Tobias Club
    Fretless Club #943
    Big Cabs Club #23
    My Rig: Stage and FOH Friendly

2. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
  3. WayneP

WayneP Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Corpus Christi, Texas

Thanks for the help Febs! The article I was looking for offered suggestions for fixing it. Searching things like “dead spots” and “dead notes” got so many pages of hits it would have taken me days to wade through all of them. I finally just searched for “dead” in thread titles only and got 14 pages of hits. That was manageable, so I plowed in and found a thread with a link to the one I was looking for on p. 4:

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/dead-spot-removal.743976/

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Administrator, Pedulla Club #45
    Administrator, Tobias Club
    Fretless Club #943
    Big Cabs Club #23
    My Rig: Stage and FOH Friendly

4. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Guess you didn't see my edit, where I added that link to my original post! Ah, well, I'm glad you found what you were looking for!