Looking for 15" cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yogi Bear, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I just purchased an Ampeg SVT3-Pro and am looking to match it with a 15" cab. I like the depth a 15 provides but have found that many out there, while providing a decent round tone, don't provide very good note articulation. I was thinking about the Aguilar GS 115 but haven't had the opportunity to play through one. I am also ideally looking for an 8 ohm cab so I can add another 8 ohm 2x10 later if necessary. If anyone has any suggestions for a cab or information about the Aguilar that would be great.
  2. Unfortunately I haven't gotten the chance to play through an Aguilar, but I've heard good things. I've also heard good things about Bergantino cabs. Out of the ones I've played, (Ampeg, Mesa, SWR), I definately liked the SWR. The note articulation is great, and it has a really thick sound. I also love the fact that it only ways 60 lbs. It's lighter than my amp head! :D
  3. SlimT

Feb 27, 2002
    Eden Prairie, MN

I've only owned one 15" cab. It's a Bergantino 1 x 15. It's got plenty of bass and the notes are clear and articulate. The crossover and the tweeter are really nice, too. I highly recommend playing through one of these in your decision process. I often play through just the 15 for smaller gigs and I can get some pretty tasty punch out of it. Oh yeah, it's rated at 8 ohms.

I also use it with my 2 x 10 and my 2 x 12 depending on my volume needs.

If you do get a chance to compare a bergie and an aguilar 15, I'd be quite interested in your impressions.
  4. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    The Bag End S-15D is a great-sounding and light 8 ohm cab.
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yes indeedy, it sure are! :D
  6. As Heavy D and the Oddman said before me Bag end 15's are simply the best IMO , I personally have owned and or played thru many brands and various cabs and since getting my first Bag End a little more than a year ago when it comes to speaker cabs my only thought is give me more Bag Ends . Anybody wanna buy a Goliath III it gets little use these days.
  7. Used mesa 15's...from the EVM diesel years. They will blow most if not all 15's outta the water. Great power handling. Super Super punchy....very clear and crisp....well articulated notes. All in all a kick-bootay cab....
  8. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Thanks for all of the reply's, I've been hearing good things about the Bag End cabs. I spoke with the guys at Bass NW and as far as they were concerned for a 15 you can't beat a Bag End S15XD. I would love to compare a Bag End, Berg, and Aguilar. The hard part is finding a dealer in the Denver area that carry all three, since the only all bass store in Denver (First Bass) closed a few years ago.
  9. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    You might wanna try out PA speakers (good ones). I've tried a lot of 15 bass cabs and none of them have enough bass for me.

Plus PA speakers have good tweeters for your highs.

PA speakers ALSO have good wattage. Heh, I dunno, just a suggestion.

I play out of 2 Cerwin-Vega V152s and I don't want anything to do with bass cabs.