1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for 15" replacement speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Martizmo, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Martizmo

Martizmo

Mar 26, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    Ive done the 2x10, 4x10,8x10 thing and still do but, I am reconditioning an old earth 2x15 cab from the 70's.

This was my first cab that dear old dad bought me many years ago. It had two 15" SRO's (used) which I had re-coned a few times.

Now that the voice coils are blown I need to find some awsome new speakers that growl. Anyone have any suggestions?

I would prefer 300 watts rms min per speaker. The cab will be driven by an SVTII, Eden 300T, or SWR 350.

2. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    Hi,
    Check out the Kappalite 3015, especially if weight is an issue.

Is your cabinet plywood or particle board?
    I have a 1973 Earth 2x15 cab and is is particle board (84 lbs w/o speakers).
    The 1972 Earth cabs were plywood.
    -Les S

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Have the SROs reconed again. If they are what came with the cabinet they're probably the best "fit'". BTW the voice coils are replaced in a re-cone.

Paul

4. Martizmo

Martizmo

Mar 26, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    This cab is Particle board. Im sorry Paul, Actully one of the magnets came apart(from the cab falling on its back) and the guy who had re-coned them before told me that the speaker is toast.

5. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Since you can't recone one driver, and that cab is overly heavy, it may be time to send it to the happy hunting ground. If it has sentimental value, then perhaps use it for a storage cabinet...