Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking for 16 ohm speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I have had some difficulty finding 16 ohm speakers suitable for a bass cabinet. Can anyone provide some links to help me? Specifically, I am hoping for 10" drivers, rated at 300 watts or more.

Thanks!

2. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I don't know of any 16ohm drivers that big, but you can goto Radio Shack and pick up some 2" drivers for a few bucks. :)

Seriously though, have you tried EPO or Fry's? I think they MIGHT(big might) have 16 ohm speakers that size.......not sure though.

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Thanks for the suggestion. I am kind of hoping for someplace that sells name brand speakers and makes their stats available.

I am willing to shell out for eminence, jbl... etc etc if the speaker is what I need.

I just haven't been able to find any vendors online that offer a bass grade 16 ohm speaker. I have seen tons of 30 watt 16 ohm guitar speakers.

4. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    You live in So. Cal right? Make the drive down to SWR.I know they have 16 ohm 10's. I bought recones for my Goliath Jr. for $67 a piece.I dont know how much for new ones. They are PAS drivers and rated at 175 watts . Should sound good in your Carvin.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Why 16 ohms?

Have you considered using series/parallel wiring them in groups of 4, that way any four 8 ohm drivers will yield 8 ohms. You can build an 8-10 cab at 4 ohms with eight drivers.

Otherwise, I think you will need to custom order. Eminenece, EV, JBL etc. can provide drivers with custom impedances for $$$$.

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    The idea was to wire two speakers in parallel, but still have an 8 ohm load.

I was hoping to try and match an 8 ohm RC210 with an 8 ohm 410, in order to have a net 4 ohm bringing the cab in tolerances for bridging at 600 watts.

I just tried another 410 out last night... speakers rattling inside so it's another project. This is the third cabinet I have turned down. Bleah... It's hard to find a good, used cabinet. (With emphisis on good!)

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Thanks very much Bruce. :)

I swear, I must be blind! I saw your msg earlier, and was checking ebay for the silly thing, but unable to find it. Now I read your msg again and you had already provided a link. Doh!