1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for 28hz of pure evil. (Basson)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassblast, Mar 10, 2008.

1. bassblast

bassblast

Feb 25, 2008
    NY/NJ
    I need a cab that pushes the detuned registers and dose not sound like mud. I looked on the Basson site and all the users are detuners. Can somene tell me about them.

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Couldn't tell you a thing about the basson cabs. But a biamped PA cab type setup would probably give you the lows you want as well as the rest of the frequencies you actually need. Basson have dealers in new york so you could probably find out for yourself what they are like

3. giglawyer

giglawyer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Toledo, OH
  4. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    The basson cabs are supposedly flat to 28 hz which is great for de-tuning but in my opinion they sound like mud in a live situation. They are also stupid heavy and not very practical in my opinion.

A cab that's popular with 5-string players (edit: practically MADE FOR 5-string playing) and easy on the wallet is the Acme Low-B cabs. They come in 2x10/4x10 3-way (10"/6"/horn) configurations. These are very "deep" tens. The tradeoff is in sensitivity (search and you'll find a bazillion posts about this), but then again Basson cabs require a ton of power as well. Acme cabs can even be used as PA speakers. I have almost picked up a Low-B4 because they come around the TB classifieds for $400 sometimes.

5. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    BFM or Acme. I wouldn't trust Basson simply because their specs look like they're made up by the marketing department.

6. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    +1 on the Acme Low B cabs. Worth checking out if you are a detuner.

7. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    +1 on that and the fact that so few actually use them. I don't know for sure though.

Is money an object? What about the Accugroove Whappo Grande?

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have a Basson 510 cab and I have used it with my Sub contra basses(Low C# F# B E) Live and in the studio and it works fine for me, the lows are clear and well balanced and I have never experienced any muddiness from this cab at all, ever.

Heavy-yes.

9. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Yeah JAUQO III-X would know more about the Basson than I do. I've only ever heard them, never played through them.

10. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    My low string at 25.95hz gets reproduced just fine through my Carvin LS1503 3-way PA cab. The sound that comes out of it is the complete opposite of mud, it's crystal clear and every frequency is nice, tight and defined. It's light and relatively cheap too.

11. I had a basson sound b210b and it was super deep. I really liked it, but eventually got sick of the weight--they are quite heavy. But tonewise, you are looking at a pretty sweet cab for lows.

12. How low do you tune? I've got a pair of Tech21 B410 cabinets that handled me tuning down to C with ease (and that was playing LOUD, too), and I can't imagine that they would have any issues going quite a bit lower than that. If I remember right, Bass Player did a review on them and said that they went down to a low G (B string tuned two full steps down) without farting out. As far as "make you poop your pants" low end, they don't have it, but they are very defined and growly and I've never had any issues cutting through two loud guitarists and a loud drummer.

Regardless of what cab you choose, actually sounding good tuned down is a matter of having a bass that is set up properly and knowing how to EQ your amp.

13. ianmatth

ianmatth

Dec 10, 2009
    Passaic, NJ
    I have a Basson 410. It does need a lot of power and is big (148 lbs), but it will handle way lower than the 28Hz spec (it handled the 12.98Hz note from the G#00 recording on Octave4Plus). The horn also handles highs beautifully. I used to hook my laptop up to it and play MP3s. I heard highs I had never heard before on Ozzy Osbourne's I Don't Know. Now on some songs, things would drop out, but it is a bass cabinet, not a full range speaker system, and the parts that dropped out might have had to do with being recorded in stereo. IMO it's the best 410 out there, a lot better than some $1000+ 410s I tried at NAMM. I paid $700 with tax at Sam Ash in NYC. The only complaint I have is that there isn't a head that can really keep up with it. I have an Ampeg SVT4PRO and it sometimes clips notes that I know the Basson could handle.

14. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    GC is a dealer and I wish they would pump an 810 cab through the store just so I could play with it. I'd cart one of my amps in and hammer it... They are within bucks of an AMPEG 810 but we never get to see one without coughing up $1000 plus tax, thats not fair. Thats alos why they don't sell very many. Maybe going to the factory is the answer?

BOB

15. Rbonner,
    I looked at one at the musicians friend warehouse. I could literally barely tilt it back on its casters. It was absurdly heavy. However it sounded great when I pushed it with the markbass classic 300 head they had there.

16. Carvin's BRX 10.2 & 10.4 cabs(2x10 & 4x10 both w/NEO drivers) are advertized as going to 28hz and 26hz respectively...

Lookie here

i'm lovin' my 10.2 with my 5 strings, for sure.

btw, i've no affiliation with Carvin whatsoever, i'm just a highly satisfied customer

17. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    What any cab will go down to and what it will go down to that you can actually hear are two vastly different things. If there's no SPL chart to back up a response claim then said claim isn't worth doodly squat. When you click on the link for the spec sheet on the Carvins, where you would find an SPL chart, if there is one, this is what you get:
    There is no manual available for the product you selected.
    :rollno:

18. whoa-ho....i hadn't noticed that, my bad...or theirs as the case may be...
    Thanx Bill !

19. They didn't provide anything that says how much of a drop there is for that 26hz mark, either. Just because they CAN reproduce notes that low, doesn't mean they can do it efficiently.

20. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Repeat this mantra: There is no bass cabinet on the market that is any better than -10db @ 28hz, other than Acme (and they recommend a steep high pass @ 30hz, which EVERYONE should use anyway, if not 50hz).

Then this: In a live situation you are unlikely to actually HEAR 28hz. The sound you "hear" (and only if your bass cabinet can reproduce it accurately, which most can't) is the first harmonic @ 56hz, or thereabouts, and subsequent harmonics.

Basson, I won't even comment on. Search the forum.