Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for 4 10 and a 400w or so head.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Listen, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Well, I'm starting to get a band together and I need a good rig for small shows and practice and I don't want a combo.

I've been looking at the Fender Bassman400 head, and the Carvin600 head.

As for cabs, I've been checking out some Hartke stuff that I would think would be crappy ($300 for a 4 10). I was also looking at the Fender Bassman 2 15.

Any suggestions, are these any good IYHO. I'm only half understanding "impendance" so can someone help me out with combinations of heads and cabs?

Thanks!:)

2. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    EDIT!

listen... how goes it?

i say if u are gonna go 400w with just a 4x10, add a 15 to it... i saw a cabinet like that... pm a guy... his SN is the thelastofus... he uses one, he used it at the school rally yesterday... it was great sounding.

wait.. it was a cabinet with 4x10's and a 15 all in one:p

3. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    I will.

4. a Peavey Nitrobass head is 400watts and a peavey 410 cab is about 800 bucks and is loud.

5. check out the avatar 4x10 cabs.. i ahve one that i am trying to get rid of for a good price.... they sound great and rival ampeg and cost alot less.

www.avatarspeakers.com

6. TWISTED

TWISTED Guest

Sep 8, 2002
    Perth, Australia
    I think this might sort of explain what you want to know about impedance. I have a 4 ohm amp head that's 400 watts and a 4 ohm cabinet that is 400 watts, so the speakers use all 400 watts. If I was to change cabinets to an 8 ohm 400 watts the speakers would only put out about 300 watts. If I went to a 12 ohm 400 watt it would put out 200 watts.
    By the way all fenders including the bass man are legendary guitar amps but they are not the best for bass, the same goes for Marshall. If you can afford them SWR, Eden and Ampeg are my picks for great bass amps. But if you want something good that's less costly I hear good things about the Warwick Profet.

7. Check out Mesa! <shameless plug> MB loves Mesaaaa!!!!

I've tried the walkabout 400 tube.. really nice, and compact :D
    I ran that thru a 4x10 mesa cab, really warm, i got some good punch, too, and a good preamp, IMO anyways ;)

:p :D