1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for 5 string & 24 frets bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nyangsw, Oct 8, 2013.

1. nyangsw

nyangsw

Apr 26, 2012
    I'm looking for a "5 string" & "24 frets" bass.
    My budget is under $1400.

I have few requiement on bass.
    1. HH or JH pickup.
    The humbucker is switchable to single coil.
    2.Strong and comfortable thin neck.
    I need thin neck beacuse my hand is small.
    And the fret on high position is easy to play.
    3.Variable tone.
    It should fit any genre of music. Like metal,pop,Jazz,funk...
    4.Tight Low B.
    I personally like 35" scale.
    5.Cut through well.
    6.High quality finish.

Thanks for your help!

2. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Everything you said makes me think of Carvin. You should be able to build something lime that for u deer the budget and there are TONS of options.

3. nyangsw

nyangsw

Apr 26, 2012
    How about the low B on Carvin bass?
    All Carvin 5 string bass is 34" scale except XB series.
    But the XB series is 22 frets.

4. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    I owned a Carvin LB76 and I thought the B was usable. Is it the best B in out there? No. But its definitely usable plus with the other options you want Carvin can most likely hook you up with money to spare

5. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011
    Spector Euro, Rebop or US (used), higher end version of an Ibanez BTB or maybe a Warmoth build.... in any event, you may have to mod the electronics for the switching, all available with 35" scale 5s

6. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    MTD Kingston Z would fit the bill.

Edit: NVM no coil tap.

7. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    There's a couple of Spector Euro 5 basses in the Classifieds right now. For your sub-$1500 range, there is nothing better. Also some may have the EMG-TW pickups, which are coil-tappable.
    The B is one of the most defined of any design, and this is coming from a mostly lifelong 5'er user of Modulus, Wal, MTD, Lakland, etc.. in addition to Spectors.

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I own an LB76 and I would definitely call it one of the best B's out there and I have played a lot of B's, easily one of the best out of the major manufacturers in my experience. It is a 34" though, so while the open B is tight and responsive, you will get overtones as you fret up the neck. You cannot avoid this issue without going to 37"+ scale. The Carvin goes to the 12th fret without overtones though, which is far more than I would ever need out of a B string. The Carvin can also run a .125 B string, which I prefer to better tone and sustain, without getting floppy.

I also immediately thought of Carvin OP, you can definitely get what you want I just do not know if it will match your budget, but Carvin is definitely the most bang for your buck on the North American market.

9. spector_boogie

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
  10. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Brand new? I'd say Carvin or Lakland. For resale value I'd go with the Lakland. For 35" scale Lakland. You could also consider a MTD Kingston but IMO I'd rather have a Lakland Skyline than the import MTD. The skyline has the same pups and pre as the American Version. Can't say the same for MTD.

11. Don't get hung up on the 35"-is-a-better-B-than-a-34" hype. I owned 35" 5 strings for years under that same misconception. I have multuple Carvins now and the B string is every bit as good as any of the 35's I owned.

Carvin makes several neck-through, 24 fret basses: the Brunny Brunel (BB75), LB75 and the Icon. I think the Icon5 and LB75's are available with narrow or wider spacing. My personal favorite is The B25 'Bromberg'. Astounding B string, ergonmics and insane verastility.

12. spector_boogie

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    It doesn't have to mean that's solely about the B string. I don't particularly like the feel of 34" basses anymore, especially on a 5. Even my next 4 will be 35" scale. Quit trying to talk someone who has specific requests into something he doesn't even want... good lord.

13. All of this says Spector Euro5LX with Wimbish neck profile & EMG TW pickups. Should be able to find one used in that price range. :)

14. cort action 5, and save 1200 dollars

15. Carvin.

And low B tone has nothing to do with scale length until you get into the higher positions. It has EVERYTHING to do with build quality and construction choices. My carvin bb75 has a perfect B - it sounds identical to the other strings and transitions without anyone noticing I'm playing a B. Same goes for my ernie ball 5 strings. the same was NOT true of my usa fender 5 string many years in the past, nor was it true of a 35" fairly high model/price indonesian bass I played.

The carvin choice is the exact company to fit the description you are looking for. Being neck through with a really thin neck that is thinner on the treble side and 24 frets makes it incredibly easy to access the higher frets, and it can get a crazy low action and take light gauge strings perfectly or heavy if you like to work harder for your tone..., even on my older one with one piece solid maple neck through it's perfectly stable as the weather has changed radically recently, but their newer 5 piece necks are hard as rock from my brief playing on someone else's instrument recently.

the HS pickup setup does what you want and their pickups over recent years have become much more traditional sounding while still being modern and versatile... on my older one they have a much more distinctly present tone that I've only managed to tame down with some custom passive capacitor mods with switches I designed/installed myself before the preamp plus I've added an emg active vmc variable mid control to mine (which was a 2 band before) to give me the control I desire, and the result is incredible. Carvin's current preamps have variable mid circuits if you like and so I was just updating mine to be like the current crop of instruments.

Go for a carvin since it's fail safe - you buy it but can return it for full refund within 10 days if you dislike it for any reason at all, even if it just doens't float your boat. and it will be custom built to your specs :-D

Or you can do what I did and pick up a used carvin for a few hundred bucks that is equivalent in every way to the esoteric custom built hand made luthier instruments I've used in various stages of brief success/fortune/opportunity through my life.

16. nyangsw

nyangsw

Apr 26, 2012
    So how about the low B on spector?
    Will you choose euro 5 or upgraded rebop 5(replace with EMG-TW and Aguilar obp-3)?

17. I had a Spector Euro and the B was fine. It definitely cut through the mix, but was not the most versatile bass I ever owned. Very comfortable though.

18. bobpond

bobpond Supporting Member

May 23, 2005
    Long Island, New York
    Peavey Cirrus 5 might work for you. I have a 6 and IMO it meets your criteria. I also see there's one that looks nice in the TB classifieds.

19. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    A MTD Kingston Heir would be just what you want. It's got that HJ config you wanted. The build on those imports is excellent. Not quite as good as the AM but very well made.

20. nyangsw

nyangsw

Apr 26, 2012
    Carvin,Spector,MTD kingston..
    Any better choice?