1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for 5 string with Narrow Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jldmcc, Mar 21, 2006.

1. jldmcc

jldmcc

Mar 21, 2006
    I am looking for the five string bass with the narrowest and thinnest neck available. Even if everything else about the bass is mediocre. I mean the kind of bass that a "slapper" would throw to the ground in disgust. I am presently playing an Ibanez 405 which is OK but the frets are getting low and I have dressed them several times. I've played some Peavey's, Carvin's, that are almost right. I'm talking bout 60's vintage "Hagstrom" thin and the width of a "Hofner".

2. Parker Fly 4 or 5 strings, hands down. Very tiny, stable, fast neck with 16.5 string spacing at the bridge. ;)

3. ibanez soundgears. 905 is pretty sweet.

4. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Rickenbaker 5 uses their 4 string neck.

danman

5. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Another vote for the ibanez Sound Gears. I'd also check out some of the higher end Dean basses too.

6. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

yup

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Curbow Petites have a small, yet very comfy, neck.

8. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    IBANEZ is where it is at for thin necks!

The mid to higher priced SR series Ibanez basses are great for this!

9. +1

Another interesting option is the SX line of 5-string basses. Inexpensive (around $130) but good values for the money.
    (Check out the SX Basses here)

I see that you are new to Talkbass so you may not be familiar with the SX's. Use the search function (but search the term "Essex" -- "SX" is too short a phrase for the search engine to recognize) to learn the story behind them

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    That would probably be a Ric 4003... Seems to me I read that it's their 4 string neck with a 5th string wedged in there...(edit: oops, right in this very thread).

Or, how about a Carvin or Ken Smith?

11. 0557

Apr 12, 2004
    Lookout for the new EBMM Sterling 5, coming soon

12. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    StingRay 5s have very thin necks and narrow spacing - maybe not as tight and thin as an Ibanez, but close. Just another alternative.

13. On the higher-end of basses, Pedulla makes 17.5mm string spacing, which is very tight considering the higher you go in ca$h the larger the spacing seems to grow.

14. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    I have a Peavey Fury V that has prety tight spacing (17mm).

Drop me a PM if you're interested in buying it...

15. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX

4003S/5 is hands down THE tightest spaced 5 string ever made (IMO).

The Dillion Music Man Copy 5 string felt the same as the 4003S/5 as far as spacing goes and is allot cheaper.

I've owned both and coudn't stand either because of the spacing. Both had great tones though.

-Bazz-

16. pmcd

pmcd

Feb 22, 2006
    Denver,CO
    Yamaha BB series. Very tight spacing.

17. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I have two of them and they are definitely in the thin and tight category. I use them as backups and have recorded with them as well. Great neck with good sound. Ibanez as has been mentioned a lot already would be your other best option.

18. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I had an Ibanez SR406 6 string...the neck on that bass was pretty narrow (2 in.) and thin (for a 6). The nut width on the 5 string version was narrow, but I was surprised at the thickness...I thought it was kind of thick for a Soundgear neck...

19. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    I am searching for a nice thin 5 string neck also. My problem, I play lefty. I have my main basses and want something around $600 to try the 5 string thing. Everything I have found has been too wide. I may try one of the carvin kits.

20. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    You should check out these:
    http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=473