1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a 1 band parametric EQ pedal/circuit for boosting the low frequencies.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ferniff, May 19, 2018.

1. Part of my zanny experiments, looking to make this circuit part of my onboard preamp. Not looking for a 3 band para-eq (which I already have) and not just a simple bass boost. I need to be able to select frequencies from the sub-bass to at least the low mids. Getting higher frequencies would be nice but not needed. A Q/bandwitdh function would be ideal too.

The Korg PEQ-1 and Arian SPE-1 look like something that would be useful to take apart and modify but I can't find any manuals that show what the actual frequency response is on those two.

Edit: This site says the Korg goes as low as 100hz, which is not as low as I want. I would not be surprised if the Arian is the same.

Korg (Effects) - PEQ-1 (Parametric EQ) - Effects Freak

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  2. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    What about the Yamaha NE-1 Parametric EQ? They are no longer being built, but you can find them here are on Ebay from time to time. Not sure it's exactly what you're looking for, but check it out.

3. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    EWS BMC. Or Mooer Radar (not its primary purpose but will do it easily and well)

4. Can you cut the higher freqs to achieve the same result?

5. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    Buy an MS60b from Zoom. You could have up to four, two band parametric EQ’s running at any time. Plus a tuner and seemingly endless FX to try just for fun!

Bijoux and ga_edwards like this.
  6. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    This. The frequency range of the parametric eq goes down to 20hz, so is certainly capable of getting as low as you want, pretty much the limit of human hearing. One feature I love with this effect is being able to see the frequency I'm dialling in, rather than just relying on my hearing. Useful when trying to find a problematic frequency node.

You might also consider the Artec SE-PEQ
    WELCOME TO ARTECSOUND

Johno Dunn likes this.
  7. Thank you, but I'm not looking for 4 bands. Specifically one band. In my original post I said this will be going inside the bass, so 3 knobs max (gain, Freq, Q)

8. Wow 20hz to 20khz. This might be a good choice for my project. Thanks

9. Cutting the highs is not the same as boosting the deep low sub-bass area.

10. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Yes it's pretty useful. I use it for taming problematic rooms. I use an RTA app on my ipad/iphone to find the offending frequency and then the dial in out on the parametric. Have the frequency numbers on the screen makes this a breeze.

The only issue you might run into, is that the frequency range is in 1/3 octave bands. If you need to dial in an exact frequency, it might be a problem, but generally, and with judicious use of the Q control, it should have you covered.

11. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    Your speaking of the Zoom ?

12. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Sorry, yes, I was referring to the Zoom.

13. I see the confusion. I was referring to the Artec one band parametric which can do to 20hz-20khz. I may end up using that for my project if I can find more user reviews on it.