1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a 12'' speaker that can handle a B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stinsok, Feb 16, 2003.

  1. Stinsok

    Stinsok Supporting Member

    Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Looking to replace the 12'' speaker in my Behringer, any suggestions?
  2. Munjibunga

    Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

    May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Replace it with a D-410XST.
  3. Fretless5verfan


    Jan 17, 2002
    i admit you are quite knowledgable about edens munji, but i really dont think a 4x10XST will fit where his 12" speaker was:p :D
  4. Stinsok

    Stinsok Supporting Member

    Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I would rather have a 410 but I cannot afford it at this time.
  5. no, he was suggesting you get 41 0" speakers. IOW, skip the Eden altogether...Right, Munji?:D
  6. Fuzzbass

    Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

    This isn't what you want to hear, but low-B handling is more a function of cabinet design than what kind of driver (speaker) is used.
  7. But seriously folks . . .

    Like fuzzy said, the performance of the speaker largely depends on the cabinet it's in. I'm assuming the Behringer has some kind of ported cab, they designed it to work with the speaker it came with. If you want to try another speaker, you might luck out and get one that sounds great, but it might blow. Or it might blow up. I don't know how powerful your amp is, make sure you find something that is very efficient (95dB or higher sensitivity rating) and that have a fairly low Fs - 40 hz or so. It should have a good power handling capability too, 200-300 watts. Carvin makes a 12 that fits that description or go to PartsExpress.com and check out Selenium and Eminence. Both make 12 " speakers for around $60 (i think).

    But again, since so much of the performance of the low end is based on cabinet/driver combination the safest thing is to replace it with a Behringer speaker (assuming you've ruined the one that's in there) Happy experimenting.

  8. Stinsok

    Stinsok Supporting Member

    Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    The Behringer is certainly not a high end amp. One of the corners cut was in the speaker. It is very "papery" sounding (does that make sense?) It just about farts out on the E. I guess what I should have asked is who makes a good all around 12'' speaker?
  9. I'm more inclined to think that the amp may not have the power to push enough current and thats why the amp farts out. I would agree that the speaker is part of the problem. But dont be surprised if it still sounds somewhat weak with the E and awful with the B string. As always, I could be wrong altogether
  10. If you have to, get an Aguilar 12''. They are excellent IMO.
  11. Chris Fitzgerald

    Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

    Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Well, they're both pretty expensive, but both Euphonic Audio (CXL112) and Bergantino (HT112) make excellent 1x12 speaker cabs. I have one of each, and either handles a low B well. The EA is more aggressive, the Bergantino a bit more "polite", but neither farts out unless you're overdriving them like crazy.
  12. Gabu


    Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Many people here have used eminence replacement drivers for their Carvin combos and such.

    I would bet that they make a 12 that you could use. Check http://www.eminence.com for their products. You can also buy them from http://www.avatarspeakers.com .

    Good luck!