Looking for a 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phat Ham, Jan 28, 2001.

1. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Ok guys I'm thinking of getting a 1x15 to put under my Carvin RC210. Right now my choices are probably between the Bag End 1x15, the Carvin 1x15, SWR Son of Bertha, Eden 1x15, or maybe the Epifani 1x15. Does anybody have any experience with any of these? I appreciate any suggestions or info.
  2. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Of those listed ive only tried the SWR.It was very nice!FWIW most of the guys at BNW use the Bag End 15.Good luck!
  3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I used to have a rear-ported BagEnd cabinet with an EV 400 watt 15B speaker and the sound was excellent-very detailed and punchy. The BagEnd is very well made but be aware that the rear ported model doesn't have nearly as much low bass punch (which is probably what you're getting a 15 for) as the signifiacntly larger front-ported model. I have a Carvin 15" 400 watt speaker in a custom birch cabinet, and I wouldn't wish that speaker on my worst enemy; it's woofy sounding, distorts very easily, is very inefficient, and just sounds one-dimensional. I bought the Son of Bertha; it's the best 15 cabinet I've heard since the Bag End; loud, deep, and clear, without being flabby. While shopping for it I tried the Eden 15 cabs, both with and without tweeters, and they're the only Eden products I've heard that underwhelmed me; they were pretty harsh in the midrange and sounded nowhere near as smooth and round as the 210XLT or SOB.
  4. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I've always liked my Carvin 15. I actually like it better than my EVM-loaded 15. It is lighter and the speaker is protected better, and it has lots of booty. I rather like a woofy sound, being largely a reggae player. There are better cabs, but I have to look for bang-for-the-buck, and the Carvin sounds good to me.
  5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I guess I should tell you guys that this next purchase is going to be the beginning of my "ultimate" rig. Eventually I would like to get a separate preamp/poweramp and a high end 2x10 to compliment the 15 that I will be getting. It will probably take a long while considering I'm still in college but I gotta start somewhere.

So from what I've heard so far the Carvin is probably out of the race. I'm looking for more defined lows than the "woofy" sound Winston and Monkey have been describing.