Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a 4 Track Tape Recorder!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by SilveRKidd19, Sep 30, 2001.

1. SilveRKidd19

SilveRKidd19

Sep 28, 2001
    New York
    Hi, I am looking for a good and nice sounding 4 Track Tape Recorder. A basic one for a beginner just for making a demo tape. It should be $100 or under. If you know of any can you plesae tell me?
    Thanx!:)

2. I was in the same boat, but now I'm going to buy Powertracks software instead. Did you realize you can record on your computer, up to 48 tracks, and the software is less than $50?!!!! With effects!

go to http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.htm

No way I'm going for a crappy sounding, hard-to-use 4-track now...

Mark

3. Um... the reason why people chose to go with the 4 track, instead of just recording software for the computer, is because you really need a good sound card if you're going to record into your computer, with Optical in's, and rca outs, and whatnot. Also, you'll need a mixer if you want to record more than one track at once. Also, there is a simplisity of a 4 track, vs computer based. Ever have an idea on the fly? you cannot bring your computer EVERYWERE where as a Tascam 414, you could just about bring everywhere, and lay down simple riffs on the fly. To match the sound quality of a good 4 track, you'd have to do many upgrades to your current computer setup. If you dont care about quality, and whatever, then just buy the software, and see how it goes. Adventuly, you'll need hardware upgrades.

4. Ummmmmm, I guess I'm assuming Silverkid has a system that he could do this on, and you're assuming he doesn't.

You're right about portability, and # of tracks. BUT, and a bit BUT, if he's looking for something under $100, it's probably not going to record more than 2 tracks simultaneously, and probably just one.

Another reason people go with 4-tracks vs. computer, is because they don't know about computer recording, and 4-tracks have been the standard for years.

As for quality, both avenues will make a decent demo, and neither (for less than $1000 investment) is going to give you hi-fi quality.

Maybe Silverkid has an awesome system......

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    $100 or less!!!

The Fostex X-12 is the only thing under $100 and that's just barely (like $99.99 at Musician's Friend). It's completely bare bones, it doesn't even have any EQ and can only record one track at a time.

Other than that you need to spend more or buy something used.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'm pretty happy with my Tascam 414 mk II portastudio. You won't find one for under $100, though, unless it's used. It's very convenient, and easy to transport. I have it with me at school and it's great to fool around with when I'm bored. (Better than fooling around with something else. ;) )