1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a 4x10 cabinet...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SakuBass, Dec 4, 2017.

Which is the best sounding 4x10 cabinet

Poll closed Saturday at 2:36 AM.
  1. Orange OBC410

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. Markbass Standard 104HR-4Ohm

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. Ampeg PF-410HLF

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  4. Gallien Krueger NEO410/4

15 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Fender Bassman 410 Neo

6 vote(s)
    5.7%
  6. Fender Rumble 410 Cabinet

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. Gallien Krueger 410RBH 8 Ohms

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 4x10 MB - 8Ohms

15 vote(s)
    14.3%
  9. TC Electronic RS410

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  10. Carrots

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  11. Other?

37 vote(s)
    35.2%
  1. SakuBass

SakuBass Lvl 50 Pixelpusher Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Turenki, Finland
    ... but can't decide on the make and model. I would like it to find a reasonably light yet great sounding cabinet. Preferably one that can handle about 500W with 4 Ohm, BUT can be 8 Ohm as well.

Intended uses, gigging small to medium clubs, recording, practise (with awesome sound).

I included some heavyweight cabs in the poll, as I am interested 1st the sound, 2nd the weight. Let's see how this turns out!

2. If you're after great sounding AND lightweight. .. the Fender Bassman Pro Neo 410 hands down.

SakuBass likes this.
  3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    Carrots.

Couldnt give me any of those cabs. :roflmao:

murphy, SakuBass and JimiLL like this.
  4. Yeah I’d go elsewhere

SakuBass likes this.
  5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    That's really not a description that will let people help you, other than telling you what they prefer for themselves.

Things like what genre(s) are you playing, whether you're using a low B string, clean vs dirty, etc will get you more useful information.

smogg, Anders Barfod, Helix and 2 others like this.
  6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I have been using Mesa PH410's since 2006. For years I wheeled and dealed in the used cabinet market trying to see if I could find anything to trump my PH410s but nothing delivered. I am pretty sure it is one of the best sounding 4x10's for metal.

Pros: Probably one of the best cabs for rock/metal
    Cons: 110 lbs, bulky cube-like dimensions

If I had to assemble an awesome sounding and loud-enough lightweight rig I would get a second PH112. A single PH112 has been sufficient for all of my non-br00tal situations in the past 4-5 years. Two would kill it.

SakuBass likes this.
  7. FingerDub

FingerDub

Jan 8, 2016
    Not sure why you left Aguilar off this list.

Tommyc, Maxfenderbass and SakuBass like this.
  8. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    I think there’s a reason 410’s aren’t as popular as they once were, but if you must have that form factor, I’d go with Barefaced.

StuStu, Loopy3 and el murdoque like this.
  9. FingerDub

FingerDub

Jan 8, 2016
    What's the reason? What's the most popular form factor?

10. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    If I was to go 410, I'd take two barefaced two10s and stack them.
    Maybe even vertically.

Stumbo, SakuBass and Loopy3 like this.
  11. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Not to get all nerdy about it, but...
    Clustering speakers side by side like that causes lots of little cancelation issues and dispersment through the room becomes inconsistent. What you’re hearing 6ft in front of the cab may be wildly different from what the audience hears at various points. A ‘better’ solution would be say, two Mesa Subway 210’s stacked vertically.
    Or two 112’s, or two 115’s, of the same brand and model.

Speakers have come a long way too, so there’s less need to shove a whole bunch of em in a box to get desired SPL. Heck, there are 112’s out there these days that handle as much or more power than some older 410’s.

All that to say, I think there are a lot better options out there than the trusty old 410’s of the past

12. FingerDub

FingerDub

Jan 8, 2016
    Interesting. I have a 4x10 as my slave cab in my lockout and it sounds exactly as you describe. Different close, than farther away, even at 20 feet. I have a 2x12 cab but ultimately I think I want to end up with 2 lightweight 15s.

Lvjoebass and dukeorock like this.
  13. BassintheTRUNK

BassintheTRUNK

Sep 20, 2017
    I use a GK 410 CX series cab with the MB500 head; it sounds great and this is a pretty light rig. Not to sure how much moving and loading you plan on with your equipment.

SakuBass likes this.
  14. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    As I think you're alluding to implicitly, Barefaced doesn't necessarily have the same dispersion issues as those traditional 4x10's since they only have highs coming out of the vertically aligned driver pair on the side with the "B" on the Barefaced name plate. Vertically stacked twin 2x10's has merit. While I like my Barefaced Four10, I wouldn't mind having a speaker nearer ear level. I'll eventually accomplish something along those lines by adding a Two10 to make a Six10 stack. My experience with the Barefaced Four10 is that the sound is actually quite consistent throughout the room.

monsterthompson, Loopy3 and dukeorock like this.
  15. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I don't know what "best" means to you. To my ears the Hartke 410XL is the best sounding 410, but it's certainly not even close to the most linear frequency response and some folks don't like them and are very outspoken about it. But they were extremely popular through the '90s when 410's were in their heyday. In fact they were the most used cab right behind the Ampeg 810 in that time. They are pretty heavy by today's standards though.

If you want a great lightweight and very loud cab go with barefaced. But you are going to need $$$.

Also the vertical stacked 210s movement is very strong on talkbass. It makes sense why it's better.

16. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    I think you’d be glad you did :)

Agreed, Alex knows his stuff!

Plutonium244 likes this.
  17. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin

One advantage to a Four10 instead of two Two10's is that the Four10 isn't really all that much more than a Two10... you'd pay significantly more for two Two10's... but you also get modularity at that price.

18. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    rather than a 4x10 I prefer a pair of 8 ohm 2x10 cabs.

It moves the same air but it is easier to move.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    I like Hartke equipment a lot ... the tone speaks to me.

Ekulati, Lvjoebass, Helix and 3 others like this.