1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a 5-string and I need help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Papalampraina, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Papalampraina

Papalampraina Need.More.Fez.

May 13, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    Hey guys. I'm looking to buy a 5-string bass, but I have some requirements, so any input would be much appreciated.

Requirements:
    - 5 strings (obviously)
    - P-bass, but if that can't be found I'll go for a P/J
    - Passive or active with bypass switch or active that works without a battery too
    - ~1.75" nut width
    - Maple fretboard

It's not that easy to track one down. Not a lot of companies go for 1.75" at the nut, others prefer to do active electronics and so on. If Fender wasn't too keen on going for the 1.875", that would have been a done deal years ago, but alas.

2. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    I have the Fender Am Pro P-Bass V and I also have 2 5ers with 1 3/4" nut. I have small hands and all I've played has been 1 3/4" 5ers for the past 20 years. The Fender is a little wider but, it is a bit thinner top to bottom. And, the string spacing is a lot closer to a 4 string then I was use too. Now I've gotten used to it and it is comfortable. Have you actually played one?

3. Papalampraina

Papalampraina Need.More.Fez.

May 13, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    Yes, I used to own a P and a J, both Fender 5ers. Never managed to feel comfortable when playing them, so I ended up selling them.
    On the other hand, I love 5-string Stingrays, their necks feel perfect in terms of dimensions. But they don't make and Cutlass or Caprice 5ers yet. :)

4. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    I don't know when Fender switched to the somewhat slimmer 5 string neck, but the am pro is slimmer than the American deluxe p-bass V and Roscoe Beck V I bought and sold because I didn't like the neck on them