Looking for a 5 string bass... left handed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KekChoz, Jul 24, 2005.

1. I'm looking for a lefty 5 string bass since a couple of months, and i'm tired. I just can't find a model that i can afford (around 1000$).
    I went to music stores, look for an Ibanez, but the seller told me that none is abalaible lefty.
    An other told me i should look at yamaha, but no, i don't want yamaha. it tastes like crap. :spit:
    An other told me that a 5 string lefty is very rare and they can't have any.
    I looked on the internet for a model, i can't find one that i can afford. I went to the carvin website, though, (they ship the bass at home with fed-ex or stuff) and there is many i could afford, but in canadian dollar plus the shipping costs, plus the custom costs, plus the taxes, plus all that s*it, it costs about $2000...
    so, i'm exhausted. :(

so, does anyone know a model i can afford? :confused: :help:
  2. With Carvin, you pay double shipping to Canada but you don't pay any GST or PST (I know this from ordering from them). You could build a 5 string bass from a Carvin kit and stay well within your $1000 budget. There is no extra charge for for the left handed version.
  3. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    It's rough being a lefty bassist when it comes to choices. The only option I know of in that price range is an MTD Kingston. Maybe Dean makes one that would also work.

4. mrphattay

mrphattay Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Chill and be patient !
    -And then pat yourself on the Back, because you're doing everything right so far. Keep looking, keep doing your homework, keep the faith, and keep working the problem...something will turn up, and when it does you'll be ready.
    The very thing that makes them scarce and is percieved as a negative by you (left-handedness), can also be your greatest asset when negotiating a deal. Remember that "Lefty" also means that there'll be less competition biding against you when you do find the one you like. Supply & demand works both ways. -Although some salespeople will tell you otherwise.
    -Since you're dealing with limited funds and small product availability, let patience and preparedness be your allies. Don't panic and don't unnecessarily settle. Be diligent and thorough, and be ready when the right one comes along...all the while adding to the "5 Fund", expanding your price-range options. These days there are numerous internet outlets to surf for the right one. This is a great advantage...the rare find, isn't quite as rare anymore.
    -And don't lower your standards re: playability and sound because of it's scarcity. Buying something that's crap is the quickest way to be turned off to the whole "5-thing".

BTW- Take a look at the current "Sales" TB forum. There's an MTD 535 LEFTY for around $2,000. Out of your price range for now, but proof that these things do pop up ocasionally !
    -Even great ones. Just my 2 cents worth.
    The best of luck in your search.
  5. Got me a SR5 lefty - prolly out of your price range, but suhweet basses!

I know how hard it can be to find lefties, try also Warwick - they do a lefty 5....

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    US masters does lefties in and around your price range. I dig mine.
  7. oah, thanx a lot, mr phattay, that gives me some other courage to search again. anyways, thanx too others for your suggestions!
  8. mrphattay

mrphattay Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Your very welcome.
    You'll see...It'll all work out in the end.

Remember to enjoy the search..that's part of the fun.
    -And when you find that special "5", let us know about it.
    All the best.
  9. I understand completely about trying to find a lefty 5 (and leftys in general). Sometimes it feels like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

That said, I've had a Cort B5 lefty for the last couple of years, it's a real nice bass, active (also sounds good unplugged which I believe is a good sign). I payed about $1100 aus. My only problem with it is that the string spacing is a little tight but other than that it's a fantastic bass.

Does anyone know what the string spacing on the MTD Kingston 5 is like?
  10. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Your post doesn't say whether your budget is $1000 US or $1000 Canadian. I assume Canadian.

You say you went to Carvin, but that the cost including custom shop features is beyond your budget...what options aside from left handed are you talking about? If your budget is limited, then dispense with the extras and get something simple. You can't buy a BMW on a Volkswagen budget, y'know. Either lower your sights or be patient, put some money in the bank, and save up until you can afford something fancy.

I think you need to look more closely at the Carvin site. I just went there, and a B5 lefty with no options other than that (and the left-handed option is free) is $688 US including a case (they're running a $100 off sale right now). That's $839.70 Canadian. How much did they quote you on shipping? Staying within a $1000 Canadian budget, the price of that B5 gives you $160 Canadian (over $130 US) to play with. IMHO it CAN be done, and for a whole lot less than the $2000 Canadian you claim.

This bass has a Hipshot bridge, graphite nut, graphite-reinforced neck, strings through the body, and active electronics with 3-band EQ. Carvin electronics get mixed reviews, but they don't suck, as I can attest from personal experience. I own two Carvins, one with the same preamp this bass has, and while it's not up to the standard of a Bartolini or Aguilar preamp it certainly does get the job done. I seriously doubt you'll find a better deal than this on a new instrument, anywhere.

For a used instrument, I'd go ebay and look for a reputable brand. But I doubt you're going to find a decent bass for less than that Carvin will cost you. A higher end Carvin is certainly possible (there's a lefty LB75 on right now for $700 starting bid, and nobody's bid yet). The big difficulty is that most sellers don't want to ship outside the US.

Another option is to get one of these:

It's only $270 US ($329.40 CDN), not including a case. Don't know if they'd ship to Canada, but I'd say probably...Kurt at Rondo is a great guy and very willing to please. Rondo is even within driving distance of Montreal...it's just outside NYC, and a trip to visit them could conceivably be done in one (very long) day.

I own three guitars from Rondo -- an acoustic, an electric PRS clone, and a 5-string Jazz bass -- and all were fantastic values. Not the world's greatest guitars, but definitely playable and they sound just fine.

Then, you can take the rest of your $1000, put it in the bank, and start setting aside a little bit every month until you can afford something better. If you're truly disciplined about saving, you'll be surprised at how fast it can add up.