1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a 5-string bass under 2,000$

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jeffreyjrj, Jan 7, 2013.

1. jeffreyjrj

jeffreyjrj

Jan 24, 2012
    hey guys. I don't post on here often, but when i do it's for advice. my only hobby in life aside from hockey is bass. my current bass is a schecter stiletto studio 5. it is a solid bass, but i just got my christmas bonus and i'm looking to get myself a nice gift.

i mostly play rock, funk, jazz, pop, and RnB.

the only songs that seem to have the tone that i really love are Asian songs like J-rock or K-pop etc. i found this one Japanese song that has almost an identical tone to what im looking for.

As many of you probably already know, the string spacing is very close. i would prefer a bass with similar string spacing, but i would have problem with wider string spacing.

let me hear your thoughts guys.

under 2 grand please.

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Music Man stingray or sterling 5

3. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    If I were looking for new, I'd look into a LAKLAND Skyline series in 34'' or 35" scale, now that they make both... I picked up a used Fender J5 with Fralins and changed them out for Nordy noiseless... Found it here and I'm pleased...

If you want to spend up to $2K, look for an LEJ, Lull, Sadowsky Metro. All very nice and can be active/passive/both and customer service is great with the boutique builders!!!

Look in the classifieds here on TB and I'm sure if you're patient you'll find what you need/want... Best of luck!

4. SR5. The laklands have a wide spacing, it's only 17mm on the Musicman

5. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Spector Euro 5LX is right around $2000 and has 17mm spacing.

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The G&L M2500 might be another thing to look at.

7. Best thing to do is what everyone is advising....

go to a store and play as many basses as you can. Then, choose...

8. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    + 1 try everything you can.... then look here for used...:bag:

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021