Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a 5 string set of 36" scale strings any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tjclem, Jan 15, 2006.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I have no experience with this odd a scale string combo. Any suggestions. The bass is a fretless pao ferro uncoated fingerboard. Thanks for any suggestions.......t

2. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    from my experience the DR series strings are really long. i play a 34" but i need to trim off what feels like a foot just to get it to work. (i play DR high-beams)

since youre not specifying rounds or flats im just going to post this.

3. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Most Ken Smith strings have a winding length (from the bridge to the nut) of 38". You can even get sets in a 40" winding length.

GHS also offers many sets of strings in Long Scale Plus, which will fit most long scale basses. I currently have a set of Super Steels in Long Scale Plus on one of my Dingwall basses. The B-string is a 37" scale length.

I have also heard that DRs make some pretty long strings, but I have no experience with them.

Fodera also makes some longer strings as well.

4. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    the ken smiths sound safe......Thanks ...t

I am open to flats or rounds..t

5. Check out juststrings.com

They have a great comprehensive list of brand name strings with all the scale length information listed for most of the brands they carry.

I have a Lakland, 35" scale that strings through the body and have had good luck with Labella and also have a set of Fodera strings that I have yet to try.

I don't know how durable an un-coated pao ferro board is so would recommend nickel instead of stainless steel.