Looking for a 5-string, what company?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RJSBASS, Sep 6, 2005.

RJSBASS Guest

Jun 22, 2005
    New York
    I'm looking to get a 5-string. Does anyone have any suggestions on the company/model? I have about $3k. Something too heavy wouldn't be good. Versatility is a need because i play all types of music (and will play all with this bass)
  2. One of the nicest I have played recently and I liked it so much I bought it. Peavey Cirrus 5. They are beautiful and play fantastic. The neck is amazing and it will cost you less than half of what you have to spend, :bassist:
  3. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    With 3k you have a LOT of options, some of my favorites I'd say MTD 535 (If not new you can definately get one used), Lakland 55-94, F Bass, Sadowsky. And thats only SOME of the options you have. If you were more specific as to what you'd like I'm usre people on the boards can help you with some more narrower selections, but you can get a lot of stuff custom built at that price.
  4. with your needs and that kind of money i would look at a custom..
    some suggestions.

Jerzy Drozd

they could all build you a bass to your specifications
  5. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
  6. You want versatility? Get a Sadowsky Metro Standard 5. The Metro Standard 5 that I recently played was one of the finest basses that I have ever played. I cannot think of a style of music that a Sadowsky would not cater to. I have a Fender FMT Jazz 5 which I love and I consider it to be my poorman's Sadowsky, but an actual Sadowsky beats it in every way :bawl: . Oh well, hopefully one day I'll own a Sadowsky. Just get one if you have the means, you won't regret it. If Sadowsky's j-vibe doesn't appeal to you have a look at the Lakland 55-94 or the F Bass BN5, both of which are brilliant all-rounders.

7. I have been looking for about a year, unfortunately not in your price range. I thought the Peavey Cirrus was superb, but not quite what I wanted. It is half the price you are talking about and you could put the balance into a great preamp for more versatility. I would give serious consideration to one of the Sadowsky Metros. Another good one I played recently was built by John Carruthers.

I have a Rick Turner Electroline 4 string with a piezo and two soapbars. It is extremely versatile, weighs 8 1/2 pounds and plays as smooth as honey butter. I highly recommend talking with Rick about his 5 strings. They are more money than I can afford right now, but should be in your price range.

RJSBASS Guest

Jun 22, 2005
    New York
    wow this is THE most responsive forum..i posted this, did some math homework, come back and BAM so many suggestions! ill check these basses after im done
  9. wow- 3k to spend on a bass, you could custom order pretty much anything, or not.
    You should decide whether you want to buy a bass and amp or just the bass, because after buying a 3k amp your gonna want to hear it thru an amazing amp/cab setup.
    Anyway, for a 5 string i can recommend Dingwall bass, since you want a 5 stringer you might as well get one of the best "B" string available. An Afterburner I or II would even give you enough cash left over to buy the amp
  10. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    (Shameless endorsement of F Bass)
  11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You do have lots of choices at that price. The most versatile 5-strings that I have played in that price range would be Skjold (well under that price, new) and MTD (may have to buy lightly used). I recently picked up a Rick Turner EL-535, and it is also quite nice and very versatile.

There are many other promising brands, but among those which I have personal experience, I stand by those three, above.
  12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    First, if you are just starting on a 5, I really see no sense in going anywhere near $3,000. I would second the Stingray5 and Skjold 5, Both can be had somewhere in the $1,100-1,700 range. For about $2,200 you can get a Sadowsky Metro. For $500-800 less, you can check out Lakland Skylines. I really recommend you spend $1,000-1,800 and if you really like fives, get a nice backup or fretless five like a Skyline 55-01 , Tribute (or used USA G&L), or a Cort Curbow. The other spending oprion would be a good amp and some nice cabinets with your $1,200-1,500.

RJSBASS Guest

Jun 22, 2005
    New York
    i was browsing though Peavey and found the Cirrus 5 that somebody reccomended. They have a custom shop so you can build your bass and see how it looks. I built this awesome bass for like 2,900. it looks awesome!!! how are the peaveys? Has anyone owned one and disliked it that would like to share the downsides of this instrument?
  14. I had a Cirrus 5 for awhile. It was a fantastic slap bass, felt good, looked great and it sounded very hifi. I actually found that it had more of a "Hey look at me!!!" type of sound though as opposed to a good meat and potatoes kind of bass tone which is what I get called for most often. If you want a very modern sounding bass the Peavey Cirrus line is a great way to go, although I would advise that you check out a few Ken Smiths also as his basses have what I would consider to be the finest hifi tone on the planet. Anyways here is a link to a tune I did with a Cirrus 5 a few months ago:

RJSBASS Guest

Jun 22, 2005
    New York
    So the Cirrus 5 has a bright sound? Is there anyway to get it to a warm sound just in case?
  16. hasadari

Jun 23, 2005
    My suggestion would be one of the following:

i. an Alembic 5-String Mark King Deluxe (used);

ii. an older alembic Series 1 (used); and

iii. a Spector USA neck through or bolt-on.

I have played them all and was awed. They are very different. The key is what appeals to you, what if the most comfortable, and what is the sound you prefer.

RJSBASS Guest

Jun 22, 2005
    New York
    I heard mixed views on the Spectors, not just in terms of sound but feel, etc. The big problem is there are no big Bass dealers around me so i can go and try them

RJSBASS Guest

Jun 22, 2005
    New York
    o, nvm, I like what i see....Spector NS5XL

RJSBASS Guest

Jun 22, 2005
    New York
    the Neck thrus are a bit outa my price range..how are they better than bolt on in terms of sound quality?

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member