Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Nov 26, 2004.

1. That will be able to emulate Trever Dunn's tone of the first Mr. Bungle cd.

I know he uses an Alembic Orion 5 string, so I'm looking for something with that same general tone, only a less expensive bass.

I prefer wider string spacing at the bridge, and narrower spacing at the nut, but I could learn to deal with 17mm spacing.

My absolute ideal bridge string spacing is that on four string stingrays, I don't know what that actual spacing is, but it's perfect for me. And this spacing would be desireable, because I can't slap very well on tight string spacing.

So the general spectrum for non-Bungle listeners, is very hi fi, to very organic sounding. I think he uses SWR stuff, and maybe some effects. Any suggestions?

2. Hmm, I should also add some more info...

I prefer slimmer neck profiles, lighter basses, and thinner bodied basses. Something well balanced, nothing too ugly looking. 35" scale perhaps... Uh. Something with a tilt headstock, and.. that's all I can really think of at the moment.

3. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I think something like and Ibanez BTB series will do the trick.

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/series.asp?s=btb&l=b

They have slim necks, light bodies, 35" scales, 19mm spacing at the bridge (what you are looking for)...

Alembic Orions have 17mm spacing at the bridge, 34" scale, they are generally heavier... basically a very different bass of what you described you liked...

What is your exact budget?

4. I have played BTB's and I wasn't very fond on how they played. Or sounded, but I guess i'm just picky.

Uh, I have no budget at the moment, I'm thinking of a decent direction to start saving money in.

My actuall plan is to go down to Basscentral and try a whole bunch and find which one is best, but I'm looking for some general ideas now, incase I don't go to Florida anytime soon.