1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Metal123, Jul 31, 2001.

1. I'm Looking for a reasonably priced 5-string, up till now ive only played 4 strings, and i want something thats good but cheap i was thinking ESP B-105 or F-205 because i have found good prices for them, any other suggestions?

2. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    Ibanez BTB405

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass, Metal123.:)

I'm not sure how much those ESP's are, but 2 of the best affordable 5 stringers on the market are the MTD Kingston(around $500) and the Ibanez BTB405(around $550).

Here are some pictures(click the name for info on the basses):

MTD Kingston 5:
    [​IMG]

Ibanez BTB405:
    [​IMG]

4. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    that MTD looks like a screwed up version of a Flea Bass! :D

5. Jeez. I thought it looked like an affordable bass designed by a master luthier whose reputation and body design is instantly recognizable. What exactly are you calling a "Flea Bass"? If you are talking about a modulus, then I can't see the resemblance. The Kingstons and Hiers are probably about the best thing going for the money.

But I can tell you first hand that a BTB405 is worth every penny as well! I saw one for sale here in town (For too much money, somethin like $750!!) and made sure I got my mitts on it for awhile in the store. I've met the guy that owns it now (Plays for a local band we run into/play with on occasion) and that thing had an incredibly clean/woody tone. The sucker cuts. And very handsome/unique to boot.

6. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I'll cast a vote for the Kingston 5, they are a great value.

7. Thanks a lot for the info guys, I'll check around town and see if i can find one of those badboys, that Ibanez is nice bass.

8. I see what you're saying low end. They do have a strange resemblance to each other:

[​IMG][​IMG]