Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Metal123, Jul 31, 2001.

1. I'm Looking for a reasonably priced 5-string, up till now ive only played 4 strings, and i want something thats good but cheap i was thinking ESP B-105 or F-205 because i have found good prices for them, any other suggestions?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass, Metal123.:)

I'm not sure how much those ESP's are, but 2 of the best affordable 5 stringers on the market are the MTD Kingston(around $500) and the Ibanez BTB405(around $550).

Here are some pictures(click the name for info on the basses):

MTD Kingston 5:
    [​IMG]

Ibanez BTB405:
    [​IMG]

3. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    that MTD looks like a screwed up version of a Flea Bass! :D

4. Jeez. I thought it looked like an affordable bass designed by a master luthier whose reputation and body design is instantly recognizable. What exactly are you calling a "Flea Bass"? If you are talking about a modulus, then I can't see the resemblance. The Kingstons and Hiers are probably about the best thing going for the money.

But I can tell you first hand that a BTB405 is worth every penny as well! I saw one for sale here in town (For too much money, somethin like $750!!) and made sure I got my mitts on it for awhile in the store. I've met the guy that owns it now (Plays for a local band we run into/play with on occasion) and that thing had an incredibly clean/woody tone. The sucker cuts. And very handsome/unique to boot.

5. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I'll cast a vote for the Kingston 5, they are a great value.

6. Thanks a lot for the info guys, I'll check around town and see if i can find one of those badboys, that Ibanez is nice bass.

7. I see what you're saying low end. They do have a strange resemblance to each other:

[​IMG][​IMG]