Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a 5-stringer fretless, any good ones out there?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Plaster, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Plaster

Plaster

May 17, 2005
    Hey, fellow TB'ers. I got my Ibanez BTB 4 string about a year ago, and now I am looking for something else.

Are there any nice, woody, 5 stringed fretless basses, with preferably no 'cheat' lines, out there?

Also, I would prefer to have a wood-finish, not plastic or anything like that.

My budget spans up to about 510 $, so thats the price range.

Now, this is not a buying from other TB'ers thread, just a place where someone could help me out, maybe post a pic and a link to the bass page with the bass in it.

Thanks.

EDIT: Yes, I know there is a thread about unlined fretless basses, but most of the people there don't put down the model, not to mention the price.

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Dean makes some nice quite 5 string fretlesses at about that price. I'm playing an Edge 5 (which I no longer own) in my avatar which cost me about $450 in 1999. I loved it, but wanted to change to a 6 string so it's gone. They differ in specific features year-to-year.

Deciding on lined or unlined is arbitrary. Dean make lined fretlesses some years and unlined other years.

Look at used stuff, though in fretless five string there may not be much to choose from.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    If you keep searching around for a used Warwick Corvette Std 5 Fretless, you might find one.
    Woody, growly tone? Check. Beatiful oil-finished wood? Got that, too.
    The downside, though: the necks are getting thick from around the 12-15th fret; also, those exotic hardwoods they are made of make them a bit heavy.

4. Plaster

Plaster

May 17, 2005
    Hmm, nice basses.

The Dean is nice, but if you bought it for 450 in 1999 I would think that it may be too expensive today.

I sort of liked that Warwick. I checked out their webpage and they were pretty nice.

The only thing is, I am not sure if I will be able to find that kind of bass that's already used.

Any more suggestions?

5. Used Warwicks, including fretless, come up on ebay fairly often.
    I'm not sure if it would be 'woody', as opposed to modern & electric, but my Rebop 5 is on consignment at BassNorthWest in Seattle. The price is abit high for you, perhaps, but it's definitely worth it, IMO. I'm selling it to fund a custom fretless(6 or maybe 7 string :eek: ).

6. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    You could consider a used Carvin LB75 fretless. That would get you neck-through, and probably a nice wood combination, at or potentially below your price point depending on the age of the bass. I have one, and it feels great.

7. Plaster

Plaster

May 17, 2005
    Well, I went looking for basses today, and I immidiately fell in love with the: Warwick Bolt-on 4 string fretless-no lines. And even though I tried out the 5 string, I felt that the 5th string was pretty useless.

The price was a little steep, (2200 $) but buying a used one, and haggling a bit should make it more affordable. Also, I will have to save up some more cash.

By the way, I thought it was incredibly easy to find my way around the fingerboard, even though it had no lines, on this fretless one compared to the other basses I tried out.

Here it is, only it has frets in this image.

http://www.warwickbass.com/basses/_thumb_bolt_on_s4.html

8. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    That's a it steep even for a new one!
    check ebay and the TB For sale forum, or anywhere else. You should be able to find a used Corvette fretless within your budget with some searching and waiting

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Um... your budget originally stated was $500, you wanted a 5 string. You're trying a $2200 four string frettes bass?

What is wrong with this picture.... :rolleyes:

Do you really know what you want?

10. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    If you go to a shop and can try out basses you are curious about, will you not? :rolleyes:

11. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I wondered the same thing--why ask advice, then turn around and do something else?

I guess the answer is, he wants what we all want--more bass, and more basses, than we can possibly afford. :meh:

12. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
  13. The Ibanez Gary Willis Sig (the new one) is relatively cheap but has amazing quality IMO. Also, I own a fretless Warwick (A Streamer Pro M). If you replace the pickups then it should be excellent for what you are looking for.