Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking for a 5-stringer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jonki, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    hiya,

since im getting a proper job, im in for a good 5 stringer.
    i mostly play metal, but i want a bass with a good growl and bottom. im willing to use 600-800$ for the bass. ok, here is what im after...

5-string bass, low B
    A slightly fat neck
    jazz or humbucker pickups, suggest others (i dont wanna have a jazz + humbucker config, like laklands or ibanez)
    35" scale, fretted
    passive electronics (preferred)

when it comes to shape of the bass, i dont want any ESP or BC Rich stuff, to much pointy edges, i dont wanna any fender style either, but something in between(like cirrius and stuff). about the finish, natural is preferred.

thanks alot!

Jonki

2. You should be able to get a second hand Euro Spector 5 either LX or CRFM for $600 - $800 US.Check Ebay.Great sound for metal.Fat neck but string spacing can be a little tight if you like to slap.
    Plus great looking!

3. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    Fat Neck, Natural Finish... i would really look into a Warwick Streamer Standard 5 with the passive mec soap bars plenty of growl outta them!!! plus you can pick one up second hand for like 500
    they dont make them anymore thou so look about!!

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, a Fender Roscoe Beck 5 fits what you describe perfectly, but since you didn't want a Fender shape, then I'd reccomend a Spector or Warwick. Neither Spector nor Warwick have passive electronics, but they both sound good.

If it was me, I'd go Spector. In fact, I did. I fin their necks to be more managable than the Warwick necks. Plus, Spectors cut through just about any mix. If there's any doubt in your mind, ask the bassists from Cattle Decapitation, Nile, and many other metal acts that use them.

Of course, I'm biased.

5. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Lakland 55-01? Fits most of your criteria except passive.

6. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    thanks alot for the answers! i'll check out warwick and spector :bassist:

come with more suggestions :)

7. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    what about Ibanez SR905, doesnt have the all of mine criteria, but, what do you think?

8. the SR905 is definately a nice bass. i was tossing up between that and my spector but my spector won through. i got the spector legend 5AS. the neck is gorgeous as is the sound and look of the bass. you can check out pics of it in the thread "my new 5er".
    good luck

9. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    thanks for the answer!

consider it done :D