1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a ~50W ~12" combo cheap!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HamOnTheCob, Jan 19, 2012.

1. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Note: Don't be afraid to let me know if I'm nuts for thinking I can find what I'm looking for in my price range, but I'd appreciate it if you don't call me a n00b or tell me to do a search. I'm not new here, but life has its way of pulling me away from TB (and bass in general) for long periods, so I'm out of the loop! I've done searches and read a bunch of stuff, but I'm not finding what I'm looking for.

Years ago I owned 3 different Genz-Benz Intro 50 combos that (to me) sounded amazing, were light, not underpowered but not overkill, and most of all, I got them CHEAP. One I bought new, and the other 2 I bought used.

I think I got them each for around $100-150. Definitely should've kept one I guess.

I'm hoping someone here has a high opinion of a decently priced combo I can use in my living room. I don't want one of those tinny-sounding 15W beginner combos. But I have a pair of 210s and an amp head, so I don't need anything crazy either. This won't be for gigging, it will be for low to medium volume noodling in my home without me having to set up my main amp. I'd be most interested in finding something about 50W or so (I've seen a lot of 30W amps on eBay... do any of them sound decent?), with a 10" or 12" speaker (or a good sounding 8" if possible), and would prefer to pay somewhere in the $100-$150 range. Used is 100% preferred, so if anyone knows someone selling what I'm looking for, get us in touch. :)

I've been a member of TB long enough to know that there's always some new big thing. I don't have the time to keep up with all the sweet new gear, so come on TB faithful, lay it on me! Help me find something that fits my needs and budget!

Thank you in advance for reading, and for being patient with me. Certainly feeling like an old fart right now. haha

Jacob

2. Try the GC in Akron or Cleveland area, a 30-50 min. drive from where your at. I'm theres a combo for under $150 there.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    And let me tell you this my boy that 30 don't get you anywhere near the Old Farts Club!!!

Good luck with your search. :)

4. musicians friend has the line6 studio 1x10 for $199 with delivery right now.

5. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Orange makes a cheapo combo.

6. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Peavey, Ampeg, SWR, Fender.

7. punkrocko

punkrocko

Jun 18, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I’ve been using a Kustom KB20 for practice. It’s pretty much identical to the Acoustic B20, so you may have better luck finding the Acoustic.

I think it sounds surprisingly good for what it is. One nice feature is the 8mm in and headphone out. It makes it easy to interface with your iPod-Phone for practice.

8. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah, my oldest daughter is 32. We won't even talk about grandchildren.

Good luck brother. many things await.

9. flewis

flewis Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Look into a used Ampeg B112 combo.

10. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Akron is an hour and a half from me, and Cleveland is 2 hours. Not that I would be opposed to such a drive for a good deal, but I'm surely not going to make a 3 or 4 hour round trip just in the "hopes" they have what I'm looking for. :)

LoL thanks. I feel like an "old" 30, though. haha

See, those are exactly the kind of responses I knew I could count on from you guys. Thank you all. I've been a fan of the Line 6 guitar combos for years, and I even have a Bass Pod Pro, but never knew they made a bass combo, and never thought to look! Man, that might be the one! Thank you so much for the suggestion. I'd forgotten about MusiciansFriend! As for the KB20 and B20, I might be hip if I could find a cheaper used one, but $150 for a 20W might be a little steep. The 75W Line 6 for $199 is looking like a killer deal to me right now. That Ampeg is tasty too though, and it looks like there's one on eBay used right now for $200 shipped. Nice thing about buying used is that if I hate it, I can probably get most of my money back out of it. If I buy that Line 6, I better love it. :)

Thank you again for all the replies!

Jacob

11. BackstagePlus

BackstagePlus

Jan 20, 2012
    In My House
    I have a 50 watt combo (peavey) only 99 bucks used. should be easy enough to find.