1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a 6-String Bass for New Idea...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MidKnight, Mar 12, 2013.

1. MidKnight

MidKnight

Mar 12, 2013
    I only need a body and neck (w/headstock and machine heads), preferably with the routing for the electronics, but I can't seem to find any anywhere. I figured if anywhere was the place to come and ask for help, it would be here. Any thoughts on the matter?

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Warmoth?

3. MidKnight

MidKnight

Mar 12, 2013
    I tried Warmoth, but in order to get what I need from them, I have to send blue-prints and every other little thing for this new plan I have. Equalizer knob and corresponding electrical routing, etc. is not something I can order through Warmoth. Thank you, though. I think I'd be better off buying somebody's used 6-string bass that is being retired or sold. I am looking for a 6-string thru-neck. Again, not available on Warmoth.

Any other ideas?

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Buy a fully loaded cheap sixer and take off what you wanna take off and do the mods you wanna do? Maybe from rondo.

5. MidKnight

MidKnight

Mar 12, 2013
    rondo? No idea what that is. A cheap sixer is like... 500 dollars, easy... I need to fund raise for that if that's the route I want to go.

6. MidKnight

MidKnight

Mar 12, 2013
    Found a sixer for under 200... not a thru-neck, but still, it's a sixer, which is a good start. Now I just have to find a custom pickup maker, and a custom string maker. After that, custom electronic manufature, and then routing for additional knobs, maybe change the pickup route size to accomodate better pickups, and probably a new bridge for color reasons, then it'll be done and I can post some pics.

I know, it sounds like a lot, but once I have the thing here to add to, the process should go pretty quickly.

7. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Yep. It's the ultimate 6er mod machine. Reasonable hardware if you don't want to change it. Decent neck and real tonewood body. Standard Jazz control plate for easy electronic mod switch. Pickguard to hide a multitude of modding sins.

yes, I've got THREE of them! Too cool for words.

8. MidKnight

MidKnight

Mar 12, 2013
    So is there space in the routing for extra mods or would I have to add space by routing myself?

9. Most likely you will have to do some routing. Lots of room under the pickguard.

Rick B.