Looking for a allround head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bugbass, Jul 2, 2005.

1. bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Must be pretty loud and not so hi-fi as my SWR SM900.
    What about the Big Block750 or M-Pulse 600?
    Maybe the Big Block is too much tube-like, but is it louder than the M-Pulse?
    Any other suggestions?
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    there are lots of options. it all depends on how much you want to spend and how big and heavey you're willing to go.

the eden wt-800 is roughly the same volume as the 900 and has a similar interface, but is a much "warmer" take on the swr sound. Depending on how you were using your 900 a lot of lower wattage heads can also fit the bill. (i.e., if you wwere using the 900 with two 8 ohm cabinets, you were really only using 440 watts total, so a lot of mono heads that put 400+ watts into 4 ohms would be just as loud. these would include the eden wt-550 or 400, and the thunderfunk amps).

The aguilar db-750 will smoke your 900 volume wise, and is much less "hi-fi". A lot of older trace elliot amps like the smx-300 will also compet and perhaps surpass the 900 in terms of volume. The EBS series of amps also seem to be loud and have tones available that are very un-swr like. The larger genz-benz amps would probably be equal to your 900 in terms of volume, and seem to have a tone somewhere between swr and eden.

Of course, getting a preamp and poweramp setup would catapult you to a new level volume wise, and you could pick whatever tone you wanted. ;)
  3. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Not too hifi? Powerful? Not too tubey? Check out the Kustom Groovebass 1200, for well under $600 it does a lot. In terms of true flexibility as a standalone head though, it won't match most units costing $1K+. What is your budget?
  4. bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Thanks for responding.

I use the SM900 in bridged mode with a single EBS 410.

Tried the EBS Fafner and loved it, but it broke during the test period, and the word is that theres been some problem with this amp.
    Maybe the TD650 is better

Wondering bout the Mesa stuff though, anyone?
  5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

+1 on the Groove Bass!
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i honestly dont call the SWR heads hifi, rather they have no low end whatsoever. literally makes my bass sound like a thick guitar string.

but the aguilar AG500 is pretty kickin'. has a warm tone, and a nicely voiced EQ. heck, even the overdrive channel sounds good, tho i'm not a fan of the overdriven sound. and its only 18 lbs.

if you want something REALLY versatile, try EA's iAMP-800. there's not a situation it hasnt worked well in.
  7. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Don't have any experience with most of the heads mentioned so far. I liked the Mesa 600, thought it had a similar tone to my old 400+ (not exact mind you), but they're pricey IMO. Tried Genz Benz? I have a GBE 600, it's very flexible tonally and very loud, much louder than the 900 watt SWR MoBass I used to have.
  8. bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Haven`t played the iAmp800, but a smaller one, 350?, I it was very clean sounding.
    I want a fat sound to match up with my EBS cab(who is also a bit on the clean side)
    Aguilar makes fine things, but here in Norway they are priced very high, the 750 is ca 3800 in dollars.
  9. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Eden. SWR with warmth.
  10. :cool: I've gotta' agree with FEALACH, the GBE-600 is a really fine head. I've been through a lot of bass heads and combos in the last 43 years, and this GBE-600 is one of the finest I've owned. Very versatile tone-wise, great volume, very reasonable cost for what you're getting, reliable, and they look good. Check one out, I don't think you'll be dissappointed.
  11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I like the M-Pulse line. My Walkabout is a great little head. But, for an "all-around" solution, I prefer my iAMP 800 or Walter Woods Ultra. The Thunderfunk or AMP BH420 is also a worthy contender.

12. Well, with a thunderfunk you'll get the perfect combination between ss and tubes. It has a very warm sound, yet still very clean. I can not picture the situation where its not loud enough. Unless you are doing stadion-tours with no PA-support, that is.
  13. T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    The Carvin R1000 or B1500 amp might be a good choice, especially for the value.