Looking for a basic (no pun intended) clean reverb

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jacoby75, Aug 30, 2017.

1. jacoby75

jacoby75 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    Hey my fellow keepers of the groove,

I'm looking for a reverb pedal to use primarily just to add a little room reverb to my in ear mix when I'm jamming in my room amp-less, and possibly when I play live without an amp. Just something to give it a little more life and depth. Nothing fancy. I have no need (at this time) for 10-40 kinds of reverbs on tap. If it's something that also HAPPENS to have other modes that would be fun to play with, then all the better. But I'm only playing in basic rock cover bands and church. I don't need anything funky.

As a comparison, I go ampless on guitar at church, and there is a night and day difference when I'm using my direct pedalboard with and without reverb (I use a RV-5 for guitar). It sounds so dead and flat without reverb. I thought the same principle might apply to my bass setup, but I haven't had the opportunity to try the RV-5 on my bass pedalboard yet.

One thing in particular that I would like, though, is something that doesn't drastically digitally alter my clean tone. I want my bass to still sound like my bass, and not overly processed and digital sounding, if that makes sense. From what I've read, there's no such thing as an analog reverb pedal, apart from a spring tank, so I understand it's all digital anyway, but I think you know what I mean. Maybe something with a clean blend? Is that a thing?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  2. IMG_1065.PNG IMG_1063.PNG IMG_1064.JPG I use the TC Electronic Hall of Fame reverb. Really good pedal, and they have multiple options. I'll put some photos in this. Really good pedals.

I won't bore you with the individual details on each, but all of them have multiple voicings for what ever sound you want, and levels for each. But the HOF mini works with a smartphone app, meaning you have to have you phone sending a 'fax machine noise' through the pickups to send it to the pedal. Weird live, but it usually works.

The Original Hall of Fame and the sequel still has that feature, but they have all the knobs and switches on the pedal itself. The main difference with the 1 & 2 is that the 2 has a feature which allows you to slowly insert the reverb with the pressure of you foot on the footswitch. There are other features, but that's the main one. The original does most what the 2 does.

You can also plug it into a computer and tailor make the reverb you want if the presets don't do it for you. Hope this helps.

3. Joey Cash

Joey Cash

Nov 1, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I'd probably go the TC Hall of Fame route, too. That's usually my go-to for most effect types. If you just want one type of reverb go for the mini. They have all sorts of Toneprints to sort through. You choose the sound you want and that's it. Then the full size with the dial if you want to switch them on the fly. I wouldn't want to send it via phone during a set.

4. That Coyote

That Coyote

Apr 7, 2017
    Iron Ether Nimbus. All day! Amazing and very transparent.

hisdudeness and Nev375 like this.
  5. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'm digging the affordability of the HOF line. That Iron Ether does actually look exactly like what I would be looking for. A bit pricey for me, though. Not sure I can justify that when I'm just bedroom jamming with it. But dang. It could be ideal.

That Coyote likes this.
  6. That Coyote

That Coyote

Apr 7, 2017
    You won't regret the Nimbus, and it holds its value well, so if you don't like it or need cash you can flip it on reverb for what you paid for it 99% of the time. Happy hunting.

7. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Well, yes. I have seen that in a brief search for a used one. Retaining value won't be the issue. Getting the money up front to even buy one will. Lol.

8. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I have a Digitech Polara on the way. I've liked what I've heard in demos, but I wouldn't call it basic. It has some weirdness to it, which is what I wanted. It does fit the budget better ala the TC HOF pedals.

9. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Dang. That Polara is fantastic. I don't know about bass, but it might kick the RV-5 off of my guitar board. That Halo setting would be awesome for laying down pads in church.

10. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    I recently saw a video of the EH Holy Grail Plus. That could be swell as well because it has a blend knob. Or is their "blend knob" just another name for another pedal's "level" knob. Is it actually blending an unprocessed signal with the wet signal? Anybody know?

11. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    I will add that based on a video by TC that I just watched, the TC pedals, even the mini, have a dry signal pass through, so the level knob is adding reverb on top of your dry signal, and the original dry signal is - allegedly - unaffected. That could make it great for bass. At least for my purposes. Thanks.

ThunderFox likes this.
  12. No probs, glad to be of service. I use TC a lot. Great for bass.

13. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    On the nimbus, the separate clean and reverb volumes are real nifty features as opposed to a single blend knob for getting surgical. Also the custom dsp created just for bass and baritone instruments (would love to try it on a bari-sax) sounds excellent. Can get crazy but sounds great at lower settings too.

Havent tried them but neunaber is another name to check: wet/seraphim for a basic feature set, immerse for greater control. Sound real lovely in demo vids.

14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Simple, clean and affordable plus works well with bass? Digitech Polara.

All the pure reverb you'll ever need specifically made for bass and baritone instruments? Iron Ether Nimbus.

When shooping for a reverb I must have tried 15 or better before making my selection. I'm currently using a Nimbus. But I almost bought a Polara. The Nimbus won out because I liked a few very minor things about it a little more. That said, either one will work beautifully for bass.

Note: about all I use is a small amount of reverb to open things up slightly and add a sensation of air. I'll the Nimbus that with a tiny hint of vibrato (J. Rockett Tranquilizer) to get a little motion in with the air. Makes for a great low-volume bass tone for home, very small acoustic type venues, and recording.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  15. ShaneF

ShaneF

Oct 15, 2015
    IMG_2531.JPG

Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master! I've been playing a lot of guitar lately... but I plugged my P bass into my guitar board over the weekend and it sounded AMAZING through this. Best sounding reverb I've ever used for sure. And it has delay! Can use just reverb, just delay, or a combo of both. Super easy controls. Got mine for a little over $100 used. :)

jacoby75, HolmeBass and hisdudeness like this.
  16. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    Frv-1 fender used Death Cab for Cutie's bass

17. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    You haven't told us why you don't try your RV-5 with your bass. It works very well, especially the plate mode.

All reverb pedals have a wet/dry mix that mixes your clean unaffected tone with the reverb tone. They don't always name it a mix knob but that's what it is. But you're right in that many pedals do convert your dry signal to digital. I wouldn't worry about that too much though. If you like the RV-5 for guitar you'll probably like it on bass. It's one of my favorites along with the EHX Cathedral.

HolmeBass likes this.
  18. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    i have a HOF mini for that rather basic reverb ( with a tiny hint of Chorus ) ...

just 1 knob ... can't get more basic ... ( until you fire up TonePrint .. !! )

also have a Digi/Lex - Supernatural Ambient Reverb ( Lexicon verbs - clean ) but not really basic ... more stuff going on than just verb .. !

several other styles of Reverb in my Line 6 HD ProX ...

the HOF mini ( used ) is hard to beat .. !!

19. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Just FYI some pedals have pre-delay which gives you a brief moment of unaffected signal before the reverb kicks in. This allows you to be able to use heavier reverb setting while still being able to hear your dry attack. To me, this is a little more sophisticated feature than just a blend knob.

20. I use the tc nova repeater. Got one off of ebay for $90 if I remember right. It's a delay but it can do exactly what you want as far as adding some ambience when playing at home. I use the headphone out on my Avalon u5 to practice at home. Found out about the nova repeater from Janek Gwizdalas Vlog. Janek says he got into using it because he practices in his small studio apartment. Just watch

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021